starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with squat grip

Question Help with squat grip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there, having problems with my squat grip, I have a busted elbow which can get quite painful.

There's a lot of futsing around in the vids, I left all of it there but here's with timestamps to the sets:

70 kg: sqgrip 70 - YouTube

80 kg: sqgrip 80 - YouTube

I left it at 80kg as my shoulders are quite sore from all the stretching I've been doing, my elbows and wrists seem fine though.

Screenshots from the two vids just before starting the set, you can see the busted elbow being at roughly the same height in both, if I lower it down from here it starts hurting quite bad:
    https://snipboard.io/PBFiAu.jpg

So onto questions: does this grip look completely awful? Like said, I can't lower my right elbow from this position without a lot of pain, also if I try to narrow the grip any more, the bar starts rolling onto or even over the spine of the scapula.

If it helps, here's a vid of me doing 105kg a few days ago: 2021 01 18 04 53 09 stabilized - YouTube
    Here my elbows are a bit higher and the grip is a bit wider.

The 105kg squats are way too wide on grip with elbows too high.

The 80kg are better on width, but the wrists are way too bent. Take your grip with your sternum 6" away from the bar, then get under the bar WITHOUT moving your elbows or wrists.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks Andrew, I'll keep working on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekka Korolainen View Post
    Thanks Andrew, I'll keep working on this.
    My pleasure. Post back after you've worked on it a bit.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Slowly getting there I think:

sqgrip 90 - YouTube

Elbows at about the same height. Wrists still a bit bent, I need to rotate the wrists a bit ("thumbs up" if you will) to get a good support from the radial side, does this make sense?

Slowly getting there I think:

sqgrip 90 - YouTube

Elbows at about the same height. Wrists still a bit bent, I need to rotate the wrists a bit ("thumbs up" if you will) to get a good support from the radial side, does this make sense?
    I think I know what you mean - you rotate your hands away from each other. It does still need some work. You had the right idea, but you took it too far. Now the bar is just sitting against your palm with your pinkie holding it. You need your fingers on the bar gripping it.

Where are you looking? That mirror is not helping you.

My grip looks pretty close to what this dude has going on here: Proper grip in The Squat | Starting Strength - YouTube

So all the fingers are on the bar (except the thumb), but the index finger only has the pad touching the bar, the middle finger a bit more, ring finger starts to be totally around the bar already. I can try to get some pics on Sunday.

I usually look at something between my legs from the reflection if there's a mirror, so that I'd be "looking at a spot a few meters in front of me".

My grip looks pretty close to what this dude has going on here: Proper grip in The Squat | Starting Strength - YouTube
    I disagree. His grip is flatter, has all of his fingers in contact, and his wrist isn't as extended. The differences are subtle but important.

Your grip is certainly improving though. Please don't misunderstand my criticism.

So all the fingers are on the bar (except the thumb), but the index finger only has the pad touching the bar, the middle finger a bit more, ring finger starts to be totally around the bar already. I can try to get some pics on Sunday.

I usually look at something between my legs from the reflection if there's a mirror, so that I'd be "looking at a spot a few meters in front of me".
    Mirrors are not perfectly flat and they occupy space which shortens the appearance of the distance. They also allow you to be distracted by any movement facing the mirror - like your body or anyone behind you. I would recommend removing it.

No worries coach, constructive criticism is what I'm thinking here, appreciate the effort! I think I "get it" now where I should be going with this, I'll work on the grip and check back in a week or so. I'll move the mirror and see what that does also.

Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I disagree. His grip is flatter, has all of his fingers in contact, and his wrist isn't as extended. The differences are subtle but important.

Your grip is certainly improving though. Please don't misunderstand my criticism.

Mirrors are not perfectly flat and they occupy space which shortens the appearance of the distance. They also allow you to be distracted by any movement facing the mirror - like your body or anyone behind you. I would recommend removing it.

starting strength coach development program
    It's my pleasure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast