starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and DL Form Check

Default Squat and DL Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Starting to worry about my lower back a bit since I'm early in the game. Not pain per se, but a bit of pressure down there later in the day yesterday and today. I lifted yesterday. I've been a desk worker for the last 15 years, so maybe I'm just using my body in ways that haven't been used in a long time.

Squat - 3x5 195lbs - Starting to wonder how much higher I should go until my shoulders come around. I've been working that stretch in the rack and doorways every day. Hello - New Guy and Flexibility Question

3rd warm up set 1/18/21 - Squat Warm Up - YouTube
    Work set 1/18/21 Squat Work Set - YouTube

Dead lift 1x245 - Feels decent.

3rd warm up 1/18/21 - DL Warm Up - YouTube
    Work set 1/8/21 - DL Work Set - YouTube

Have you read anything about the way we coach the squat and the deadlift, or watched any of our instructional videos, or watched any of the thousands of videos posted for critique on these forums? Anything at all? Because I see nothing here that indicates that you have.

I have. Will go back through, re-read, watch, compare, etc....

Thanks

Iīm not a SS Coach, and as I find out recently, I really donīt know to perform the lifts exactly right (but Iīm on my way with this forumīs help).

But, I think this might help:

Squat Grip: It looks to me that the bar is too low and the wrist is not right, watch all these videos carefully: The Squat - Bar Position with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube, Fixing the Squat Grip - Starting Strength Seminar - YouTube, Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube

Deadlift: It looks to me that you are not with your lower back in the position, it should be completely flat from the start, you have to shove your belly into your legs. Notice how this (flat back) is different from what your are doing.

Hey, not a coach either.

Squat:
    1. Your grip is too wide and the wrists are very bent. Check the links from Miro.
    2. The bar doesn't seem to be centered and looks like it's a bit rotated (left end of the bar is more forward then the right end).
    3. You want a BIG BREATH at the top and make everything TIGHT.
    4. Looks like you don't stay on the midfoot, i.e you roll onto your toes. That might be because...
    5. Those shoes look like crap. Get proper ones with a heel lift. Just a bit of heel lift makes a world of difference.

Deadlift:
    The Deadlift in 5 Steps | Mark Rippetoe
    You're doing steps 2&3 at the same time. Don't. You seem to yank the bar a bit, don't, SQUEEZE the bar off the floor. Don't breathe out at the top.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all who chimed in. Been working on shoulder flexibility for a week or so now and starting to make some solid progress. There’s an updated video with two stretches you can do away from the rack.

Gonna drop weight and really try to work on form, keep stretching, etc.... this is a long journey, no reason to add weight with bad form and get hurt.

How to stretch your shoulders for the low-bar back squat (UPDATED) - YouTube