starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slight Deviation From Vertical Bar Path On Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You need to break at the hips and knees simultaneously, your butt should move back, not down then back. To keep the bar over midfoot, you will have to bend over. Don't worry about the number on the scale, if it's muscle, it doesn't matter what the number is.

Quote Originally Posted by Schrodinger23 View Post
    Thanks for taking a look at the video. That is counterintuitive about fixing the problem on the descent. I kept watching week after week a pretty straight vertical bar path on the way down and then the bar comes forward out of the hole. I didn't even think about trying to fix the descent. I knew that it felt kind of choppy on the descent, but didn't think anything of it since the bar path is usually straight. Just to be clear, you think that I am bending over enough, but need to do so earlier in the descent? Maybe in the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the descent?
    Yes. You're bending over enough. You just need to bend over immediately. As the others have put, you need to bend at the hips and knees at the same time. I don't know that it will fix the ascent, but that's the first thing I would fix and see what comes out of it.

For the most part, this isn't a bad squat. There are just a few things that need to be cleaned up.

As far as the weight goes, I wouldn't worry about 275. Go to 220 and see what that's like. Maybe you won't be so worried about 230 when you're at 220. Maybe 275 will be in your future someday, but you need to get to 220 before you get to 275. It's not a fast process. You can evaluate as you go. Don't think about bulking or cutting. Think about getting enough calories and protein to make progress.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Yes. You're bending over enough. You just need to bend over immediately. As the others have put, you need to bend at the hips and knees at the same time. I don't know that it will fix the ascent, but that's the first thing I would fix and see what comes out of it.

For the most part, this isn't a bad squat. There are just a few things that need to be cleaned up.

As far as the weight goes, I wouldn't worry about 275. Go to 220 and see what that's like. Maybe you won't be so worried about 230 when you're at 220. Maybe 275 will be in your future someday, but you need to get to 220 before you get to 275. It's not a fast process. You can evaluate as you go. Don't think about bulking or cutting. Think about getting enough calories and protein to make progress.
    Thank you! This makes a lot of sense. I will finish running out my HLM cycle, since I'm down to singles now on the heavy day with backoff sets to get the extra volume, so there is likely only a three or four weeks left. I'll start working on my form on the light day and see if any of those changes can carry over to the heavy and medium days. When I finish the cycle I can deload and really focus on cleaning up my form as much as possible in all days, starting a new cycle.

With the weight, this seems reasonable. The next HLM cycle will last 3 to 4 months and I can slowly just add in more carbs. The first few weeks just stick with the 300g, since the extra calories are not needed. But, then start to add in about 20 to 25g extra carbs each week to put the extra calories to work when it is needed the most. When I did novice linear progression I simply worried about eating in a way that my weight never dropped from one day to the next, so that I was always in a calorie surplus. Usually I hit this and while it worked well, some weeks I packed on a lot of extra fat, which I think it was a bit excessive. Now that I'm more carefully measuring out things, I can gradually ramp up the surplus to hopefully go further on this next cycle that I did before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12