starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check - Still rounded ??

Default Deadlift Form Check - Still rounded ??

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello
    since my last form check I have been trying to get my lower back into more extension using the "shove belly between legs" Q and trying to take my time before pushing the beginning pushing the legs, my lower back felt way better and less tweaky that before incorporating these but still looks rounded.

previous post: Deadlift form check

back oblique view - YouTube
    front oblique view - YouTube

I have not gone up in weight and been practicing with the same 110kg.
    The next thing I want to try is using my 1inch heel lifters and maybe slightly widening my stance since I can get a better low back extension in my Squats with those .
    (I have very poor lower body mobility and have had multiple clubfeet and genu valgum surgeries and treatments as a child)

Has there been any improvement since the last form check? and do you think the shoes and stance will help with a better low back and hip position?
    thanks

There is still improvement to be had here. First try and get your setup and hold it, with no movement, before moving on to the back squeeze. You are blurring them together right now which is causing you to pull out of position on many occasions. Once you setup, pause, then nothing else moves except your back which needs to flatten. You should be able to get more back flattening (extension) than this even. Try doing some back extension drills belly on the floor and pulling your chest off the ground. That is what the movement should be like.

I will add back extensions into my routine, a powerlifter friend of mine has suggested cat-cow drills to practice my back extension with bent knees and I have found that helpful for position awareness.
    I will add "isometric" style practices for the chest squeeze/back setting section to try and maintain while pulling.

do you think stance width and heeled shoes will help? I find I get less butt wink and better back extension with those in my squat
    Squat video : Squat Jan 7 SS - YouTube

A slightly wider stance may help with extension, but don't go too wide. Shoes likely won't matter much for extension.

I think spacing your heels further apart and turning your feet out a bit more will probably get your legs out of the way so you can really set your back.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi,

I am a beginner, so one of the SSCs will have to corroborate this comment. This is not relevant to your main question, but I think you are not locking out at the top properly at the hips. This is more noticeable from the back angle. May be see this: In depth on the DL with Mark Rippetoe .