starting strength gym

Thread: OHP Form Check

Default OHP Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was encouraged by an SSC to put up some form check videos while I am doing a reset to make sure I am not artificially stunting my NLP with poor form. I apologize for the tight video angles, I am working in a tightly packed shitty garage gym. If I need to reshoot these, I will do so.

OHP - YouTube

This isn't the version we recommend for the NLP. We recommend you pause each rep and the bottom, take a breath and get tight, and then press the bar up. You will have more control and stability with this approach and be less likely to have bar path errors. Assuming you switch to this version, straighten your wrists a bit more so middle knuckles are pointing up and pull your elbows into your body a bit more so you have vertical forearms. Also focus on tighter abs and quads before each rep.

Switched back to pausing between reps. I am trying to get my knuckles as far vertical as I can, there is a certain point where it rolls from the meat of my hands to the crook of my thumb and I cannot hold the bar effectively. Elbows are pulled in as much as they can be without overcorrecting in the opposite direction. Do I need to narrow my grip a bit? I'm was tightening my abs and quads as much as possible before every rep, what is the sign that it would be insufficient?

OHP 1/22 - YouTube

Don't try to put the back of your hand straight up and down. Your hand will be back a little, just like when you make a fist, so that the second/middle joint line is pointed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Bynon View Post
    I am trying to get my knuckles as far vertical as I can, there is a certain point where it rolls from the meat of my hands to the crook of my thumb and I cannot hold the bar effectively.

OHP 1/22 - YouTube
    Like this? Ironically, the incident below helped me find the best spot to hold the bar, because my thumbs and wrists are too sore to hold it incorrectly.

February 5, 2021 - YouTube

Check out this video by Delgadillo, mainly the part where he has the lifter point to where the bar needs to go. This might help you get the bar lower into your palm and force you to get elbows forward. The forearms point to where the bar is going to go.

Press Grip and Elbow Position | Nick Delgadillo

Narrowing your grip slightly my help to get elbows forward as well.

Not sure if this is a thing or not, I used to lift with glasses and coached another who did as well, and we couldn't keep the bar "close to the nose". When we ditched the glass while lifting it became easier to "aim for my nose". The thinking was, subconsciously we didn't want to hit our glasses so we leaned back more than intended, to avoid this. If you can press without glasses, give it a try because there is a big distance between your head and the bar when the bar goes past your face.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Like this? Ironically, the incident below helped me find the best spot to hold the bar, because my thumbs and wrists are too sore to hold it incorrectly.

February 5, 2021 - YouTube
    Not quite that bent back. The bar won't rest on your chest. Point the middle knuckles of your fingers at the ceiling.