starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check - Bar position?

Default Squat form check - Bar position?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Looking for some feedback on my squat form:

Squat 5 @ 110kg - YouTube

I've been lifting half-heartedly for a few years but never fully committed, I'd back down the weight once my form started giving up and never fulfill my potential.
    Having recently read SS I've decided to get serious about making some strength gains.
    Im about 2.5 months into training this style and feeling much stronger than previously, lifts are all progressing along nicely.
    Body weight has increased by around 1kg

Depth has never been an issue but i think ive always stayed too upright and struggle to get the bar in that low position comfortably.
    The bar doesnt seem to sit on my rear delts nicely

Im 32, 93kg, 6'2 with long legs, currently squatting 3x5 @ 110kg, still adding weight every session.

Any pointers would be appreciated

These are high bar squats. I'm assuming you are trying to do low bar? Bar needs to sit in the ridge just below the spine of the scapula. You are going way too deep and the stance is too wide

Yeah I’m trying to do low bar, I know where it should sit in theory but I just can’t find the comfortable spot. Could hand/elbow placement be effecting it?
    I thought the depth would be a positive thing, do you think it’ll be detrimental to building a strong squat?

Lots of things about lifting weights will not be comfortable. Just widen the grip. Yes going too deep has many issues and you will not get as strong that way. Reading the Blue Book will be highly beneficial as this is is all in there

Think this is an improvement:

Squat 80kg x 5 - improvements - YouTube

Bar sitting lower, tried not to go as deep and feet slightly narrower.

Yes, better.

Its still actually hard to tell if the bar is in the right spot. You need to set the hooks one notch lower so you don't need to go on your toes to rack and unrack. Point your toes out and shove your knees out much harder. Stand all the way up straight in between reps

I think things are looking better and im progressing well with the weight.
    Ive got a nice low bar position now, feet slightly narrower, i think im still going a bit too deep (i find when it gets tough i actually go deeper, probably to get a bounce)
    Here is my second set from last night:

Squat 5 @ 127.5kg - YouTube

I completed 3 sets of 5, but ive been having knee pain in my right knee cap since (nothing during the squats)
    I wonder if its because my form broke down a little bit final set and i noticed my knees trying to collapse in a bit

starting strength coach development program
    Yes still too deep. I would tell yourself to "squat high." Toes still need to be pointed out more(30-35 degrees) and knees shoved out harder. To continue with the program you are going to need spotters or spotter arms very soon