starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check, please

Default Squat form check, please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

Here is my previous squat form check. So I have been doing HB squats, and am new to LB. This is my third LB session.

So I finally got my lifting shoes, although I could only afford the cheapest pair out there.

Set 1 185 lbs

Set 3 185 lbs

I tried to work on the advice SSC Hayden gave me:

1) Those shoes aren't doing you any favors. Buy a pair of lifting shoes. [Done.]
    2) As you descend, yes you need to break your hips and knees at the same time. Get your knees forward sooner. [I tried breaking at the same time. Is this okay now?]
    3) Resist the urge to pull your chest up/arch your back as you descend. Tight abs when you start and keep your back flat. [Tried.]
    4) About halfway down, your knees don't go forward anymore. Be prepared to then just reach back with your butt. [I don't understand what this is and how do I see it ... ]
    5) Keep your head down the entire time looking at a spot on the ground about 5' in front of you. Drive up with your butt, don't pull up with your head on the way up. [Ahh ... failed this! I will work on it.]

Coach, how can I know if the bar is moving directly above my mid foot from this back angle? I can tell when I video from the side. I also can't tell if I am squatting to proper depth from this angle ... And I don't know how to go forward now. Is my technique good enough to go directly to 225 lbs (my last HB squat weight) next session? Or do I have to increase the weight by 5lbs from here on, again?

Thanks for the link Mark ... but I am not quite sure what I am looking at here ... Did you want me to look at the Master Cue article?

Also, can someone please provide some feedback on my form/technique?

I was referring to this:

Quote Originally Posted by The-Gym-Is-A-Scary-Place View Post
    Coach, how can I know if the bar is moving directly above my mid foot from this back angle? I can tell when I video from the side.

So for my lift, what do I need to work on? I mean there is plenty to work on, but what are most urgent things that I need to fix before I break something? Kinda hoping for some feedback here on my form (SSCs, please, when you have a second ...)

starting strength coach development program
    Hips breaking at the same time as the knees is better but could still be improved. The pulling up with your chest and head also can be improved a bit more. Knee slide in the bottom appears to be fixed.