starting strength gym

Thread: Newbie Press form check

Default Newbie Press form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Recently I started to learn pressing, but even prior I started to "feel the vibe of the press" I managed to get injured while benching (shift of the biceps brachii long head tendon to the lesser tuberosity, partial-thickness damage of the supraspinatus tendon on the bursal surface, small amount of effusion in the joint cavity and along the way of biceps brachii long head tendon, ortho scheduled next week). My latest post-injury press workout was most intense I ever had (I learned to press for 1.5 hours, mostly issue-free, but minor issues in the injured shoulder when I started to get tired). This aggravated and made my whole shoulder sore post-workout for 24 hours and counting. I'm thinking if I could've done something wrong with a press too

Here's a front quarter video of some of the last sets: Press 1 - YouTube

Would be very thankful for any suggestions

Hey Andrey
    You almost had the timing on the last rep. Narrow your stance a bit. More like your squat stance.
    Before you do the hip action, squeeze the hell out of your quads and think about throwing the tops of your quads at the wall. Then don't start pressing until the bar has dipped down and your chest starts to come back forward.
    Lastly, you need to move through these quicker. That bottom position isn't rest. The muscles are using energy to hold the bar there that is better served pressing the bar upward.

Thank you, yeah it's quite hard to hold it at the bottom (I thought that's because I'm weak, which I am), I'm staying at the bottom because I can't always keep my elbows in front of the bar, so a lot of time goes to making sure they're in the right place, and also that everything is correct — chest up, wrist/bar angle. I never sure about any of these things at any point in time and I worry that if I do fast reps I can't set everything appropriately. So flared out elbows at the near top is correct? I rechecked photos of the movement in SS book and they're flared out at near top, but for me on some reps it feels like they're out "more than usual", and it not feels "right". Should I strive to keep them straighter?

The quickest/simplest way to get the elbows in the right spot at the bottom is to pull your arms tight to your sides like you're trying to push your cleavage together for an OnlyFans photoshoot. While keeping your upper back in extension.

The elbows eventually will point outward because the shoulder has to internally rotate to get to the top and lock out the bar. Flaring them too soon and "pulling the bar" back behind you will put you on your heels if you overshoot. Being out of balance in the press is rough.