starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Not sure what I have going on. At the bottom of my squat I have a tendency to shift laterally. I feel like most of the power is going through my right leg, I can really feel my right glute working. My right hip is much more flexible than my left, i.e. pigeon pose is difficult for my left hip. I experience tightness in my right lower back when conducting high volume, also when I sit for an extended period of time, but rest quickly helps. I occasionally experience localized pain in my left anterior shoulder, sometimes this radiates to my bicep and I require several days off from squatting and shoulder work in general. If viewed from a still image, you can clearly see that my right cheek is higher than my left at the bottom of my squat. Not sure how to share an image here.

I have gone to the PT for this and will be seen for a possible LLD and hip mobility work. In the past I have experienced patellofemoral pain syndrome in my right knee treated my lunges, doctor said my tendon needed to be remodeled through work. I had arthroscopic surgery in my left ankle years ago that has led to a loss in flexibility of that ankle.

Thank you for any comments and help.

Videos:
    From Left: January 23, 2021 - YouTube
    From Right: January 23, 2021 - YouTube
    From Rear: January 23, 2021 - YouTube

This post probably should not have been approved(you need to be wearing shoes when you squat) but since it was I have some questions/comments:

1) I see a slight shift, well within the normal range, and this should pose zero orthopedic issues for you when it comes to training
    2) You need a new doctor. I cannot think of a worse prescription for knee pain than lunges. Coincidentally...
    3) Have you read the Blue Book? Squatting with a shoulder width with toes pointed out 30-40 degrees is going to load your glutes, quads and hamstrings in the most effective way. Squatting with a wide stance and toes forward will put way more stress on the ligaments and tendons around the knee
    4) Where is this gym where maskless renegades are permitted to roam so freely?

Yeah, I didn't notice the socks.