starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I’m 6’3” and have been trying to work on my deadlift form. I noticed that w/ my normal deadlift setup I have been dropping hips and I’ve been trying to address this.

When I try not to drop hips after grabbing the bar, the ROM feels shorter and the angle of my back is closer to horizontal. I think those are expected and obvious consequences, but I have a harder time getting a flat back and have been noticing strain in the lower back area. When I drop my hips a bit lower, my back feels better (no strain in lower back when pulling), but this requires me to drop hips lower after I bend over and grab the bar than I do in the clip.

Clip shows my attempt using the standard dl setup, any tips appreciated. I’m not having any pain when I drop hips lower, but I do feel some more strain in the lower back when I’m trying the higher hip setup in the clip.

Not sure if I should keep trying to get better form while keeping my hips high, any feedback appreciated.

Form check - YouTube

I dug up another video I took a year ago. I was doing 5/3/1 at the time and this was my “1RM” attempt.

The interesting thing to note is, though my hips dropped lower in setup, by the time the slack was pulled out of the bar and the weights started moving off the floor my back was much closer to horizontal as the first clip when I started initially from this position...

Form check 2 - YouTube

In your stance, point your toes out a little more and also push your knees out more as well. This should help you set your back better. And you are just going to have to squeeze your chest up harder. It may help to adjust your gaze to look forward a little more. Like right at the top of that base board

I agree with Ryan. Look up about 15 feet in front of you or the equivalent since there’s a wall there. Get your upper back set. It’s loose as a goose.

Thanks all, here’s another 315x5 same as first clip. Pointed toes out a bit more and tried raising head and chest as suggested.

Deadlift form check 3 - YouTube

Still looks bit rounded to me but wondering what others think.

A note about background in case it matters, I was DLing around 435x3 pre covid, and then my gym closed permanently (bummer), and it took a few months to get my home gym setup where I wasn’t lifting at all. So I backed off weight a good bit now that it’s setup and just doing the standard 5x LP for awhile again until it stalls. I didn’t increase weight between first vid and this attempt just because I am wanting to focus on form. This still feels pretty easy though, and I’ve never had any serious back issues really, but wanting to get formed nailed down.

I agree with you that you're rounding. If you watch the video that just dropped on putting down the bar, you can see how tight Bre's back is. I have no advice on how to set it tighter, mine looks like yours. I'm going to try a slightly wider stance but won't know if it helps until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzo232 View Post
    Thanks all, here’s another 315x5 same as first clip. Pointed toes out a bit more and tried raising head and chest as suggested.

Deadlift form check 3 - YouTube

Still looks bit rounded to me but wondering what others think.

A note about background in case it matters, I was DLing around 435x3 pre covid, and then my gym closed permanently (bummer), and it took a few months to get my home gym setup where I wasn’t lifting at all. So I backed off weight a good bit now that it’s setup and just doing the standard 5x LP for awhile again until it stalls. I didn’t increase weight between first vid and this attempt just because I am wanting to focus on form. This still feels pretty easy though, and I’ve never had any serious back issues really, but wanting to get formed nailed down.
    Much better. It looks like you can shove your knees out a bit more. You should be able to feel them pushing against the insides of your forearms. When you get your squeeze, think about pushing your belly between your knees. To be picky - Rep 1 was the best. Rep 2 you lost your low back a little. Reps 3-5 the back was nice and flat but you dropped your hips when you got the squeeze, and thus had to raise them again when the bar came off the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks again for the tips, appreciate the time. Will keep working at it but I think I know what I need to work on now.