starting strength gym

Thread: Squat / Deadlift Form Check

Default Squat / Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First time posting to the forum, I've been doing the program since December 2019, I weigh about 205 lbs at 5 ft 7 in. I've recently gone to a starting strength clinic at fivex3 in Baltimore. I am having some difficulty reaching depth in the squat. I'm also trying to not drop my hips at the start of the deadlift but am experiencing more strain in my lower back than usual. Any advice would be appreciated!
    Squat
    1st set
    Squat |235| Set 1 01.24.21 - YouTube
    2nd set
    Squat |235| Set 2 01.24.21 - YouTube
    3rd set
    Squat |235| Set 3 01.24.21 - YouTube
    Deadlift
    Deadlift |280| 01.24.21 - YouTube

Hey Ryan
    Depth looked fine on the 3rd set. Maybe too deep on some. You're dive-bombing into the bottom and aren't getting leaned over over. Knees slam forward as you ass drops straight down and then you get on your toes. It's exacerbated by squatting on turf and in shoes other than weightlifting shoes. Fixing one or both of those things will help.
    Knees out and reach your ass back as you point your nipples toward the ground. Stay tight and controlled into the bottom.

You're ramping the bar a bit on the deadlift. Knees are coming back forward as the bar passes. A lot of times that can happen if you're pulling off balance. See if you can break the bar off the ground from midfoot, and when it get to the knees, think about pulling the hips forward to the bar rather than trying to lean back and pull the bar to you. Also, get off turf if you can. Doesn't help with balance. Also, DL gets filmed from the front.

Hey coach Pete
    I appreciate the feedback. Would you say that my first two squat sets were too deep and my third set was deep enough? I've ordered some do win lifting shoes that should get here soon. Unfortunately I can't get off the turf but they do have some thick rubber mats I could try to use.

I see what you mean about the ramping. I will try to incorporate your advice and I'll post an update soon. Thanks again

I only looked at your third set. The two reps I looked at of another video were too deep also. Just about an inch below parallel.

I don't know if adding rubber mats on top of turf is going to help.