starting strength gym

Thread: Tendinopathy from bad form?

Default Tendinopathy from bad form?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Have been having issues with pain in elbows, injury forum suggested the underlying cause was bad squat form, particularly grip. I can tell that my form isn't good, but I can't tell whats wrong at all. I tried paying special attention to keeping my wrist in the right position for a week but still saw increasing elbow pain.

Here's the video: Squat 180lbs - YouTube

Some other notes:
    1. My right shoulder and right knee also hurt a little. Right elbow worse than left,
    2. I'm planning to get a pair of Adidas Powerlift 4s (I understand that these are better overall for lifting than the higher heeled Adipower)
    3. Also saw this post while reading some of the threads: Battered Left Elbow after Squats
    4. I've taken a break from squatting (about a week now)
    5. Will a belt help fix the problem?

Grip looks fine so I'm not sure what's wrong with the elbows but here's what's wrong with the Squat:

You are not looking down, leaning over enough, or getting your knees in the right place. You are looking forward and sitting back on your heels and then the knees slide forward at the bottom. So look down at a spot on the floor 3-5 feet in front of you and get your knees in place/forward sooner. Lean over and keep your chest down. Theoretically a better back angle could take some stress off the elbows, and less knee movement will help with knee pain but I'm not gonna guarantee that part

Are you doing power cleans? I thought elbow pain was from squats then I noticed in my clean form that I had started pulling instead of arms straight. I've reset to get rid of the habit and elbows are better.

No, I haven't done power cleans yet. I've tried, but I havent been able to get rid of the arm pull so still working on that.

I have noticed once or twice that I was doing an arm pull on the deadlift (rather than having the arms straight out), but I think its from the squat because the elbow felt much worse after sets of squats

I'll get back to training the squats next week. Think I'll stick a big dot on the floor to actually look at lol. I think I ended up in this position because I was trying to get my hips back further... Not sure how to lean forward further while keeping the bar over the midfoot... Am I just overthinking this? I'm pretty dumb physically, in my experience I haven't been able to "just do it".