Quote Originally Posted by meowmeow View Post
Hey thanks again Nick! Really appreciate the reply and the video was really helpful too. Sorry for the delay (busy week).

Here's another video of me doing a box squat with a more stable "box" than that shower stool: https://imgur.com/a/kAmg6f7. I intentionally didn't wear a sock. The previous video's camera angle coupled with black socks on black stall mats made it hard to tell what was going on with the ankle. It does flex but only very little. Maybe a centimeter before the heel starts rising.

Some questions:

-Re: lifting shoes, do you mean ones with a taller heel?

-In terms of programming, would I just treat these as regular squats or not? Mr. Rippetoe says in the video that they're an assistance movement for more advanced lifters but obviously this is a special situation. Since there is no rebound, I wonder if in some ways they're more like a deadlift and thus more taxing in terms of recovery. Of course the weights are lighter so maybe that negates that? Not sure..
Yeah, get some weight lifting shoes with a heel and metatarsal strap.

You can probably get by with doing these for 3x5 like you'd normally do. If/when they get heavy, you may need to do a few triples or something. For now, just treat them like regular squats.