starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Check for hip pain

Default Squat Check for hip pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After reading a whole bunch of posts on this thread and the injury thread, I decided to deload my squat in order to really sharpen my form. Dealing with chronic hip pain and I want to be sure my squat form is not causing it. I have been taping and watching every warm up and work set for two weeks to try to get this right. Here is a video at 225, which seems to be the highest I can go right now without losing form. Several posts mention that knee slide can cause the type of hip pain I am experiencing and so I am really trying to sit back and push out my knees. It definitely feels better while doing the set but hip pain afterward still persists. I assume this will take time to heal but hoping my form is not causing it any longer. Any feedback would be great.

50 years old, 5'8" 185 lbs

Squat 225 1.30.21 - YouTube

These are pretty solid. Stay bent over a little longer. You are getting a little vertical at the bottom and getting on your toes, but it's slight.

A rear view would be good to see to check for thighs being in line with the feet, but from this angle, it looks good.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

What kind of hip pain? I get impinging at the bottom inside my hips if I don't over emphasize external rotation in my mind. The cue to push out knees wasn't working so I think "rotate out knees" Sets that hurt and sets that don't look nearly identical on film. If that's what you think you have, Rip has an article "Active Hip" that's useful.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    What kind of hip pain? I get impinging at the bottom inside my hips if I don't over emphasize external rotation in my mind. The cue to push out knees wasn't working so I think "rotate out knees" Sets that hurt and sets that don't look nearly identical on film. If that's what you think you have, Rip has an article "Active Hip" that's useful.
    This is assuming that the knees are caving in which is most common. I used to get hip pain from pushing my knees out too far and getting my thighs wide compared to my feet.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

The pain I have does not happen during the squat and I don't even think it is the primary cause. I say this because the pain has not gone away 100% even when I have stopped squatting for several months at a time. It does seem that squatting aggravates it when I get over 225. There were some posts on the boards that sounded like very similar symptoms and suggested that knee slide could be the culprit. I have attached a video at 275 from a few weeks ago where it looks like i was not sitting back and had definite knee slide. Like I said in the original post, I want to be sure I have my form as absolutely clean as possible so I can rule that out as a cause. I'm trying several other things and it seems that I have managed to reduce the pain and move it farther down my leg. I now feel tightness in my lower quad and lateral knee. I am hoping this is from other muscles now being worked harder than before and that it is a positive step. Check out the old video and let me know if you think I am better now, keeping in mind it is 50 lbs less now.

Squat 1.5.21 - YouTube

These older squats are definitely too vertical with a lot of knee slide. Your more recent video is much better. It took me like three months for my hip impingement pain to stop after the problem was fixed. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while for hip pain to resolve even after the original source is removed.

Here is a video with rear view from yesterday. I also added another from rear quarter for good measure.

Squat rear view 225 2.3.21 - YouTube

Squat 2.3.21 - YouTube

The thigh alignment with the feet looks fine. You still need to sit back and stay bent over longer. That's why you're getting on your toes and getting knee slide.

UPDATE: Since my last squat day I have been able to reduce hip pain to almost zero by paying careful attention to my hip positioning when sitting, walking and running. I even did some sprinting with no pain. Today I squatted 225 again and the pain returned. This is a moderate deep pain just above and to the rear of the greater trochanter. After a while it radiated down my leg and i can feel it on my outside lower thigh and even below the knee. I was paying very careful attention during warmup sets and it seemed that the deeper I drop and/or the more I bend forward, the more I can feel the pain during and after the set. I have attached three videos below. Thank you for your help.

Squat 225 2.8.21 - YouTube
    Squat 2 225 2.8.21 - YouTube
    Squat rear view 225 2.8.21 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    You need to bend at the knee and the hip right away. In these videos, it's just hip. I would post to the injuries forum and see what they think. Link this post in the explanation.