Thread: Squat form check 2/3/21

Default Squat form check 2/3/21

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    2/3/21 SQUAT 400#x5 set1 - YouTube set 1
    2/3/21 SQUAT 400#x5 set 2 - YouTube set 2
    2/3/21 SQUAT 400#x5 set 3 - YouTube set 3

Wider grip on the bar, helped keeping my back tight.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

These look pretty good. Some reps you don't let your knees go forward right from the very start and don't keep your butt back in the bottom, so just try and dial those points in a bit more.

Thank you sir.

I have a question on grip

I re watched my old squat vids to see if I could diagnose my upper back coming out of extension issue. This issue also led my elbows to raise as I descended and often I would loose tightness in my low back to hit depth.

At the time I was gripping with my thumbs near the power lifting knurl mark and trying to force them closer every workout

After some research, I think my grip was far too narrow for either my size or my current mobility. The last two squat workouts my back is staying tighter, resulting in much better back extension and angle plus the bar doesn't roll up my neck anymore.

The issue is to get here I'm squeezing myself between the uprights and my hands want to be exactly where the j cups are. I feel I can unrack safely but I'm also adjusting my grip after I walk the bar out which could be a potential hazard

Obviously tighter is better, and so is progress on the squat.

I stretch per Coach Paul Horn every session along with pvc shoulder dislocates. What else can I start doing to facilitate a tighter grip.

Thanks for all the input and sharing your valuable time

Myles

Yes if you grip is too narrow for your flexibility the excess tightness can lead to elbows driving up and the bar rolling up on your back. Here I'm not seeing you adjust your grip width after your take the bar out, just some rotating of the hands/wrists. The bar doesn't seem to roll up or down when you do this, so it's not a major issue, but it would be better if you minimized the wrist movement after takeout. The Horn stretch is going to be the best stretch for your time. Just make sure your wrists are completely straight as you do it and are trying to inch your grip inward a little bit over time.

Copy that

Thank you