starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check

Default Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

Can I get some feedback on my power cleans? The rack position at the end doesn't feel very stable to me. Should I be catching the bar by getting more lower? Should I be sitting back a bit more at the rack position? As in, are my knees too far out of my toes when I rack the bar?

Power Clean - S2 - 115 lbs

Power Clean - S1 - 115 lbs

And, after racking the bar at the quarter squat position, do we bring back our legs to the narrow stance (while standing up fully)? Or do we stand up fully with the wide stance? Sorry if this has been covered in the book, I don't have the book yet. And the SS videos on YouTube don't seem to have anything on this. Or may be I missed it.

Thanks,

You're setup with your hips a little too low to start, and then you're rocking back onto your heels before you break it off the ground. Get a hair closer to the bar.
    Then stay midfoot as you set your back, then stay out over the bar longer than you think you need to as you break it off the ground.
    Slow the pull off the floor and don't let it come off your legs. You're gorilla-ing the bar off the ground and it's missing your legs.
    Gotta address the arm pull too. Go through the process of jumping with long, straight arms with the empty bar as part of your warm-up. Or watch the videos on our YouTube channel.

Once you get all of that sorted, in order, then you can address the rack. You're trying to avoid the bar crashing into your shoulders. Don't. Attack the bar with your shoulders as the bar comes back down. Learn to enjoy the bar smashing into your shoulders. And if it hits bone, get your elbows through faster.