starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check. Need help please.

Default Squat form check. Need help please.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I’m new to the forum.

I need help on my squat form.
    I know it’s not good. But I’m not sure where to start addressing my form.
    The only things I think I’m doing right, is squat depth, and keeping my knees from sliding at the bottom of the movement.
    The ‘UP’ part of my squat looks very ugly.

My hips have been hurting for a month now.
    The pain seem to be deep in the hip joint.
    I feel sharp pains in my hips. Sometimes when shifting weight to one leg, or pivoting on one foot. Or sometimes laying in bed and changing leg positions to get comfortable.
    I also get deep hip pain while getting up out of a chair, after sitting for a period of time. They feel stiff too.

Putting on my socks it’s getting harder. Than it use to.
    I’ve always had mobility issues putting on my socks, but it seems worse now that I am squatting heavier. It’s difficult to pull my leg up to my chest so I can put socks on.

My knees feel stiff and tight too when having to bend them during daily routines, like picking something off the floor at work or at home.

34yrs old
    6’4”
    217lbs

Began SS method in Aug 2020
    Squat progressed from 135lbs up to 320lbs. My body weight from 187lbs to 217lbs

Squat form check 320lbs 02/2021 - YouTube

Hey Kurt

Let's bring your stance in. You're way too wide here. At least a full foot-width on both sides.
    Next you need to learn how to brace. You don't "crunch" down on the abs up front like you're doing. It's pulling your chest down, rounding your upper back, cranking up your elbows in the process. Now with a more rounded upper back, you're less likely to get leaned over. So, take a deep breath, close the back of your throat (glottis) and exhale against the closed glottis. That action will cause the trunk muscles to contract on their own without you having to think about "crunching" your abs.
    Once you fix the stance, and brace properly, get leaned over sooner. You're coming down too vertical and it's causing your heels to come up, shifting you to your toes (may be why your knees are pissed). A proper lean will keep you on midfoot. Staying midfoot while driving the hips out of the bottom will make the ascent look less wonky.
    Work on those things for now.

Thank you Pete. I will incorporate those instructions during my light squat day tomorrow and post new videos.
    230lbs is my light squat weight.

Below is my squat session from today, trying my best to incorporate the instructions from above.

After reviewing the footage I feel my form is looks much better from my original post. But I wasn’t lifting as heavy as before, so I may be speaking too soon.

Light squat 235lbs

Set#1 Squat form check 1 (feb 8) - YouTube
    Set#2 Squat form check 2 (feb 8) - YouTube
    Set#3 Squat form check 3 (feb 8) - YouTube

Stance looks better and bracing looks better.
    You need to find your eye target before you start the rep though.

When we say "lean over" we want the torso to go from vertical to more horizontal as one, rigid segment. You're collapsing the chest, causing the upper back to round and elbows to crank up. Rounded spine sucks at transmitting force and it also messes with your balance through the rep. It also causes you to want to lift your chest out of the bottom, killing your hip drive, and this is a great way to piss off your elbows.
    Get your eyes on your spot before you start. Then send your ass back as you keep the elbows down and keep the upper back tight.

loose the mirror(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Stance looks better and bracing looks better.
    You need to find your eye target before you start the rep though.

When we say "lean over" we want the torso to go from vertical to more horizontal as one, rigid segment. You're collapsing the chest, causing the upper back to round and elbows to crank up. Rounded spine sucks at transmitting force and it also messes with your balance through the rep. It also causes you to want to lift your chest out of the bottom, killing your hip drive, and this is a great way to piss off your elbows.
    Get your eyes on your spot before you start. Then send your ass back as you keep the elbows down and keep the upper back tight.
    My left elbow has been bothering me significantly since I began my training back in august. You are right about that.

I will try to incorporate the your instructions in the days ahead. My work schedule is hectic this week. It’s Messing up my training schedule.

Update to come.

Hey Pete,
    I’m struggling with the elbows/chest/upper back thing.
    In the video below, I demonstrate 2 different ways of holding the bar on my back.
    The first rep, is the way I have been holding the bar for months.
    And the second rep is the way I think you are trying to tell me how to hold it?

When I hold the bar my way, the weight of the bar is on my back when I’m standing there, and it feels secure on my back. But yea, my elbows are cranked sky high. And they do hurt a lot between sets.

When I try the other way, elbows down and chest up... all the weight of the bar is in my hands when I’m standing there. Not much on my back at all.

I tried squatting a shit load of different ways this evening, and it left me with a sore elbow and frustrated mind set.

- YouTube

Says video's unavailable. Do this: there's about 4-5 videos on the squat grip on our YouTube channel. Go check them out and you may find something that helps.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, I may have forgot to mention, but invest in some actual lifting shoes and ditch the metcons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast