starting strength gym

Thread: Squat/Deadlift form check

Default Squat/Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I think I've got my squat pretty ironed out with help from the coaches here, at least Im cognizant of getting my back and knees set and when I don't, I notice it in my footage and try to correct it

2/8/21 SQUAT 405#x5 set 1 - YouTube
    2/8/21 SQUAT 405#x5 set 2 - YouTube
    2/8/21 SQUAT 405#x5 set 3 - YouTube

My Deadlift however is another matter.
    2/11/21 DEADLIFT 425#x4 - YouTube

1) at 425#x4 I'm a rep shy and at least 75# short of were I should be, progress stalled hard a while back due to technique

2) at 344# I'm fatter than Ive been in a decade making breathing and back setting harder on DL's (working on that down 10lbs)

3) 4" belt makes it harder for Deadlifts than beltless, also fixed that with a 3" starting strength belt that delivered after todays Deadlifts.

4) I see I'm backing my shins off the bar and lift my ass so I can breath between reps Its not ideal but I look like I'm falling forward in the video, but I swear I'm just fat and trying to breath.

How much tension should I be getting in my hamstrings when set? In my last video my ass was too low and there was no tension. After I waddled up to the bar today I reset my hips a few times to get my hamstrings tight before bracing not sure if "This is the way".

As always any and all help is much appreciated.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Squats look pretty good to me.

You are rushing the setup in the DL. You are breathing, squeezing and pulling all at once. So I would first widen the stance a little to make it easier to breathe at the bottom. Then after you get your shins set, look forward more, about 10 feet in front of you(You are looking down, which makes it harder to get your chest up) Squeeze the chest up hard without dropping your hips and pause for a second after your back is set, then pull. If you do the setup correctly you should feel that the hamstrings are tight
    Last edited by Ryan Arnold; 02-12-2021 at 09:14 AM.

2/17/21 DEADLIFT 430# x4 - YouTube

Hey Ryan here's today's Deadlifts

I got my head up and it did help keeping my hamstrings tight at the bottom.

How's the extension now?

Am I pausing long enough before the pull (sperating steps 4 and 5)?

I didn't widen my stance much due to me already being a pretty wide dude and the power bar being rather unforgiving on my shins if I went any wider.

The 3" SS belt definitely helps

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it

Myles

Hi, Myles. These are nice heavy squat, but I see your bar rolling up at the bottom of squat.

Yes much better. Now just try to speed up the process. Once you set the bar down between reps, get the shins set, look forward, squeeze and pull. Too much fiddling around at the bottom will contribute to fatigue by the end of the set. You can also experiment with long socks or other shin coverings. As long as you are not grinding the bar on your shins you should be fine

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome I'll work on this immediate.

Thank you sir