starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks in advance for all your generosity of time. This is my first post. I’m 3 months into the NLP and curious about some form fixes. It’s hard for me to see if my lower back is set and holding appropriately due to lots of extra spare tire skin from 100lb weight loss years ago. The back feels strong but I know it can be better.

I just can’t seem to keep my head in the right spot. My warm ups are better but when the weight gets above 385 I start to look to the sky. Having trouble breaking that habit but working on it.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Deadlift 2/13/21 - YouTube

Hey Cliff
    So you're not really getting the low back set. You're rocking back to your heels, getting the chest up and then pulling, all in one shot. Plus you keep putting the bar down too close, so your shins are almost vertical and your ass is too high, and it only makes setting the low back harder.
    Setting the back is a separate step from the pull, and you need to make them distinct. It's a "squeeze" into extension rather than a "snap". Lift the chest up steadily and at the same time, drop your belly to the bar, drop your junk between your legs, and point your starfish at the wall behind you. Like you're trying to touch your ass to your shoulders behind your back. All of that should be done smoothly. Then when you're certain it's set, push the floor away with your feet while staying midfoot. Not rocking to your heels.
    Also going to have to feel for the correct start position so you can mimic the initial rep when setting up for the next 4. If you've put the bar down too close, you're going to have to move the bar forward a little with your shins to get them at the right angle and the hips at the right height.
    Take 10ish % off the bar and see if you can dial in getting the back set and pulling from midfoot. Then just take bigger jumps coming back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Cliff
    So you're not really getting the low back set. You're rocking back to your heels, getting the chest up and then pulling, all in one shot. Plus you keep putting the bar down too close, so your shins are almost vertical and your ass is too high, and it only makes setting the low back harder.
    Setting the back is a separate step from the pull, and you need to make them distinct. It's a "squeeze" into extension rather than a "snap". Lift the chest up steadily and at the same time, drop your belly to the bar, drop your junk between your legs, and point your starfish at the wall behind you. Like you're trying to touch your ass to your shoulders behind your back. All of that should be done smoothly. Then when you're certain it's set, push the floor away with your feet while staying midfoot. Not rocking to your heels.
    Also going to have to feel for the correct start position so you can mimic the initial rep when setting up for the next 4. If you've put the bar down too close, you're going to have to move the bar forward a little with your shins to get them at the right angle and the hips at the right height.
    Take 10ish % off the bar and see if you can dial in getting the back set and pulling from midfoot. Then just take bigger jumps coming back up.
    Pete, thanks for taking the time to go into such detail. I’ll post again soon with the intention of addressing your points

Default Update

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Hey Cliff
    Ok Pete,
    Backed off to 365 and I think the back is much better. The focus on all the cues you gave me also kept me from directing my head upwards as well. Please let me know how to improve from here. Thanks again
    Dl 2/16/21 365x5 - YouTube