Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    February 13, 2021 - YouTube

460x3 second set on Texas method intensity day
    (445x3 on right side)

Got a form check a few weeks ago (right side in video) and the correction was to move the bar position down a little in order to prevent the bar from rolling up my back, causing the head raising and thoracic spinal flexion. Left side was from this week. It feels like the bar is as low as it’ll go without it rolling down my back. Also feel a lot of pressure on my elbows at this point, even with a little wider grip. Could be residual medical epicondylitis. Sorry for the repeated form checks.

Can you please just post the video you'd like looked at? When you split the screen and make both images smaller it's tougher to see details, like bar position. Just link to the previous form check thread rather than split the screen.
    Thanks.

Sorry, here’s the video and original thread.

February 14, 2021 - YouTube

Squat, Press, and Deadlift Form Check

Thanks. The back angle is definitely too vertical. The bar position looks right. It just looks like you're having a hard time keeping the upper back tight and don't want to lean over as much as you should. Are your shoulder that tight that you can't get more of your fingers on the bar?
    Watch you elbows on the ascent. See how that crank up a little and your wrists flex forward? That's going to continue to piss off your elbows.
    You'll need to learn to keep the elbows down deliberately as you come out of the bottom. You may also eventually have to try a thumbs around grip if your shoulders are that bad and you're already that wide.

Thanks Pete! Yeah, I used to do a thumb under grip and ever since I switched back in September, I’ve been having a hell of a time getting my grip right where it doesn’t give me golfer’s elbow. If I try to walk my hands in, I get a ton of pressure in the wrists and elbows like my wimpy rear deltoids don’t want to support the weight. I’ll try a couple more times to get narrower and keep the elbows down and then maybe switch back to thumb under.

As far as back angle goes, I’ve had three Injuries (pulled muscles, I’m guessing) in the SI joint region, all from squatting and letting my lumbar go into flexion, so I think the back angle thing might be psychological. Also, I have a little bit of a long torso and short legs that I’m sure contribute to it. I’ll try to film a side view to see what my bar path looks like. It shouldn’t be going forward of mid foot intentionally, right?

Are you wearing a belt?
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFox1 View Post
    I’ll try to film a side view to see what my bar path looks like. It shouldn’t be going forward of mid foot intentionally, right?
    Depends on what the weight on the bar is. A light/empty bar will be in front of midfoot as you squat. As it gets heavier, it'll get closer and closer to midfoot. You're looking for a vertical bar path and the system balanced on midfoot.

Yes, the belt is under the sweatshirt.

Also, I’m not sure how relevant it is, but there’s a bit of downward slope to the driveway (I am facing downhill when I squat).

Given that most people struggle to stay off their toes, it could be a bit of an issue. Though I don't know how much. Try squatting up hill and see.

So I did a video from the side and found out that my depth is a little excessive, which might be contributing to my back angle issues. I’ll try to fix it and take a good video on Friday. As for the grip, I might try thumbs under. My elbows and shoulders felt pretty beat up trying to get my grip in a little narrower.

starting strength coach development program
    February 19, 2021 - YouTube

Here’s my Texas method Friday intensity day “running out” my strength with five singles at 465. I see my elbows still want to come up, but the thumb under grip was a lot better on my elbows and shoulders.