starting strength gym

Thread: Form check for squat depth

Default Form check for squat depth

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi!

I have always been fond of ass to grass squat, but in my understanding of the Gospel of Mark, this practice is not optimally effective. I am trying to correct that and I would like to know how I am doing:

Before (low): Low squat, 3 X 5 @ 80 lbs, 7 Jan 21 - YouTube
    Now (higher, feels very high but looks a bit low): Higher squat, 5 X 3 @ 122.5 lbs, 13 Feb 21 - YouTube

Background: 39 year old female, 113 lbs, week 8 of SS NLP:

Squat - 5 X 3 @ 122.5 lbs

Press - 3 X 5 @ 59 lbs

Deadlift - 5 X 3 @ 135 lbs - moved to triples to bypass grip limitations (it seems early to rely on straps already)

Bench - 3 X 5 @ 85 lbs (failed subsequent attempt for 3 X 5 @ 87.5 lbs)

Depth is too low on some and fine on others. Can't tell you much more because of the angle, but you seem to be squatting with high bar mechanics.
    Please take a look at the sticky at the top on how to film the lifts to get the most out of your journey with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Depth is too low on some and fine on others. Can't tell you much more because of the angle, but you seem to be squatting with high bar mechanics.
    Please take a look at the sticky at the top on how to film the lifts to get the most out of your journey with us.
    Thank you very much! My bar does not have any knurling in the middle part, so I am not very confident with the low bar squat when my spotter (husband) is not around (he travels a lot for work). We are moving this summer and plan to upgrade our home gym with an actual rack with safeties and a better bar.

I will follow your instructions for my next video. I appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Put a small piece of athletic tape or veterinary tape around the center of the bar in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Put a small piece of athletic tape or veterinary tape around the center of the bar in the meantime.
    You are a genius! I will try this today. Thank you!

I followed your advice and it worked! Thanks again for the tip!
    Low bar squat 5 X 3 @ 125 lbs - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Hey. Glad it helped.

Before you unrack the bar, get your chest up to set the upper back and let the elbows come down a bit. You only need them high enough to keep the bar in place. You have them cranked up too high and the upper back is rounded.
    Widen your stance about an inch in total and turn the toes out more to 30 degrees.
    Get leaned over as soon as you start and reach your butt back. Then imagine the barbell is across your low back as you come up and keep driving your butt in the air instead of lifting your chest as you come up.