starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elbow pain

Default Elbow pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, my name is Ryan. Trying to change my username (which I made in 2014). First post.

The last several workouts I have been getting debilitating elbow pain during my squats. I am only getting it on my left side, and I believe it is due to bad shoulder flexibility. I try my best to keep my hands above the bar, and try stretching my shoulders out before squatting. I have been doing that weird stretch where you lean into the rack with the bar behind your head. This has helped some. I have also spread my hands all the way out to the ends of the knurling on the bar (being careful not to pinch my hands on the rack).

The last two workouts however, I have had ro cut the workouts short due to terrible elbow pain. It is 100% due to the bad shoulder flexibility while squatting.

Has anybody else had this problem, and what was your solution? I know Mr. Rippetoe made a video on this a few months back, and I believe this is where I learned about the 'lean into the bar' shoulder stretch.

Thank you very much.

Video?

I have this same issue in the same elbow. It drives me nuts.
    I can feel it radiate up my arm, up to the shoulder quite often too, almost like the pain is in the humerus.

bad elbow pain skwaat - YouTube

I got pain in both elbows this set (last set of 265) but my left elbow pain was almost unbearable once I put the bar down. Literally could not even bench the bar after this. My left arm was sore to the touch on the outside, distal portion.

No shoes because I did this for unit PT. We ran to the gym, and running shoes blow to squat in.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidsonDink View Post
    I have this same issue in the same elbow. It drives me nuts.
    I can feel it radiate up my arm, up to the shoulder quite often too, almost like the pain is in the humerus.
    If only some authority figure had addressed this problem. Then, you could read about it and correct it.

Here are Coach Delgadillo and Coach Burnett on elbow pain:

Elbow Tendonitis: How It Occurs and What to Do About It | Jordan Burnett

Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat | Nick Delgadillo

And Coach Rippetoe on the platform for the squat grip:

A Clarification on the Squat Grip | Mark Rippetoe

Almost like this should be in the FAQ set up to help with those who don't search, right?

Does a longer Fore arm to humerus ratio have any significance on this matter?

Appreciate the help. I apologize for not having searches more on my own.

Looks like my elbows are too 'high'. My hands seem to be fine.

Would this be a fair personal assessment?

starting strength coach development program
    Nope. Did my best to keep my elbows down today. Elbow blew up by 225. Did everything in the articles above.

Idkwtf Im doing wrong here.

When I get back from korea (in July) I guess Ill go and have to see the coach who's in Savannah. Mean time Ill just high bar, which I hate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast