starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift technique check

Default Deadlift technique check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

This is my first post to the forum. I have been on NLP for 4 weeks at this point, deadlift has gone from 250x5 to 330x5. I have some previous barbell training experience and have always struggled with back rounding.

The setup described in Starting Strength and the cue to “push gut between thighs” has helped me, but I feel like I am still struggling with excessive lumbar flexion. Thinking a drop in weight may be necessary, but would appreciate any advice.

Please let me know if video is not suitable and I can post another. Also, I apologize for it coming out as two separate videos.

I am 28 yrs, 5’5” 176 lbs up from 162.

Setup and first rep of 330x5: 330x5 setup - YouTube

Last 4 reps 330x5: 330x5 - YouTube

You're dropping your hips a little and pushing the bar forward of your midfoot. That's not helping you keep your back flat.

You appear to be able to hold your back in extension on some reps, but you lose it as the set progresses. Slowing down the set up may help. Breathe, then get tight against the bar and think about extending your back hard enough to pick the bar 1mm off the ground.
    Last edited by AndrewLewis; 02-19-2021 at 06:52 PM.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Andrew,

Thank you for the advice. Would you say the hip drop is occurring in the setup or as the set progresses?

My pleasure.

It's happening when you lift your chest during set up. It happens on every rep at the bottom.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Would you typically recommend backing weight off at this point to correct or try to correct while maintaining progression?

I would find a weight that you can hold your back in rigid extension and go from there.

Maybe you'll fix your set up and keep your back flat no problem. Maybe you'll fix your set up and still can't keep your back flat. But there exists a weight at which you can maintain a flat back.

Thank you, I will work on it next deadlift session.

275x5- 275x5 - YouTube

I ended up dropping to 275 for my 5. Tried getting in to the better set up and it does seem to have helped. It’s hard to see here but it seemed like the left side of the bar was wanting to flare away from the legs. Not sure why this would be with a hook grip?

starting strength coach development program
    You're not dropping your hips at all which is good, but the bar is starting behind the midfoot and your shoulders are too far in front of the bar. That's why it's swinging away from you.

You need to look at the bar position from standing by craning your neck to the side instead of bending over to look at it. You also need a half inch wider grip.