starting strength gym

Thread: Press form check

Default Press form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    March 1, 2021 - YouTube

Here’s my Texas method Monday volume day 5x5 at 200lbs.

I can see why you guys say all the time that in order to be a “presser”, you have to press 3 times a week. I’ve been alternating press and bench by week like the grey book prescribed in the standard intermediate programming. I had to do my Friday workout on Thursday last week, so my only press day, Wednesday, was omitted. Having not pressed in a week and a half, today was a bit of a grind trying to get my form consistent. Set five felt pretty decent though, so I would appreciate any feedback.

Not a SSC. First of all, good job dude, this is nice! These are just my observations. I think you could squeeze your elbows in tighter so you bounce off your ribs/lats more. You seem to start in a semi-lay back position before the press and most of your bounce seems to be generated from thoracic extension and bouncing the bar off your chest rather than driving your hips forward with locked out knees etc. I wonder if you could lift more if you used your hips for the bounce rather than your upper body? Whatever you're doing looks like it's working though.

Bar path is working against you a bit. There is a lot of up and not so much *back* to your shoulders in the beginning. If you look closely you will see your elbows do a drop before the reps start. If you can keep them up it may help the backwards trajectory. Note it looks like they are dropping to generate some bounce, but the bounce we ideally want should come from a hip reach forward.

I see what both of you guys are talking about. I think instead of the “double layback”, I’m trying to cheat the hip drive and go straight into the layback.

Side note, it’s funny how my crappy bench form tends to make my shoulders hurt, but after pressing, they go back to not hurting. I’m thinking about maybe switching up to favor the press more.