starting strength gym

Thread: Squat depth-Sufficient

Default Squat depth-Sufficient

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just wondering if my squat depth is sufficient here? video below.

had an issue with hitting the correct depth before and then i tried to correct that and subsequent feedback on there suggested i was going too low.

This depth is correct.

I am jealous of your gym. Must be nice to train outside in March!

I am not an SSC and don't have any major lifting experience. So one of the SSCs will have to verify this. Something doesn't look right. At the bottom of your squat, the bar seems to be outside of your toes by at least an inch (usually the bar path is somewhere between the heel and the toes). In your first rep, your upper back seems to be rounding as you go down. Are you doing high-bar squats with the mechanics of low bar?

Quote Originally Posted by The-Gym-Is-A-Scary-Place View Post
    I am not an SSC and don't have any major lifting experience. So one of the SSCs will have to verify this. Something doesn't look right. At the bottom of your squat, the bar seems to be outside of your toes by at least an inch (usually the bar path is somewhere between the heel and the toes). In your first rep, your upper back seems to be rounding as you go down. Are you doing high-bar squats with the mechanics of low bar?
    thanks for the responses.

i noticed this too. its forward. i wondered if this is because im not getting my hips back enough as i descend? that was the first set of 3 i did last sunday and after seeing this on the video i made an effort to improve this by getting bent over more and getting my hips back more.

These are the other 2. i think its improved on these perhaps? i have made more of an effort to get my hips back on these sets.

you can see my back better from angle in the last video. Also, your post prompted me to record myself unracking the bar. this is the first time i have done this and something definitely not right here. bar is not centre on my back and my left arm is further out. i cant seem to get it in as tight as the right one. note the 3 videos i posted of me squatting are mirrored so my left side is actually closest to the camera if that makes sense.

happy my depth is ok but there are other things i need to correct.

i normally try to do leg work out outside. it was actually drizzling when i did my squats last sunday. you cant tell from the videos though . i was more concerned with the barbell getting rusted though. unless its raining heavy, ill try to workout outside. had not choice but to squat in the garage last night though as we had a minor storm here. Im in the west of ireland so hopefully weather starts to improve now.

ive completely forgotten how to unrack the bar properly. im not bringing my elbows down to secure the bar in place. they should be in line with my torso right? and not moving like they are when i descend and ascend.

it feels like whenever i get one thing right , i start to fuck up another. i knew the bar didnt feel near as secure as it used to.

You could do with lifting the chest and getting the upper back tight. That'll help keep the elbows in place.
    Also, please edit your videos down a bit. There's one with about 40 seconds before you actually get under the bar. They'll upload faster too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    You could do with lifting the chest and getting the upper back tight. That'll help keep the elbows in place.
    Also, please edit your videos down a bit. There's one with about 40 seconds before you actually get under the bar. They'll upload faster too.
    apologies for that. i was trying to trim them down on youtube before posting them but gave up trying to figure it out.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Gym-Is-A-Scary-Place View Post
    does bar path look better on these sets?

this may seem like a very stupid question but its something im not certain about. when you descend on the squat and break at the hips, are you getting your hips back by hip hinging or just bending over while keeping everything tight? by hip hinge i mean a similar movement to a romanian deadlift where you are driving your hips and glutes back. this is how i descend on the squats. i have been getting alot of hip pain recently from squats so something is not right.

also, in terms of depth i want to get a little deeper but just cant seem to go lower than the videos i posted. if its ok i need to relax i guess. i just have this obsession with depth now and im always checking if im breaking parallel, comparing to diagrams etc. im not sure my anatomy allows me to go down deeper than that though.