starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form

Default Squat and Deadlift Form

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Used to lift back in 2018 hurt my back really bad doing deadlifts. Just now coming back to training after reading Starting Strength and Practical Programming and trying to focus on form. Still have bad pain whenever I hyperextend lower back.

Squat:
    3x5 195lbs - YouTube

This is my third day lifting since I started again, I think may need a little more depth. And I feel like I’m struggling putting 10lbs per workout on squat not sure if that’s normal or just starting to heavy.

Deadlift:
    1x5 220lbs Deadlift - YouTube

Sorry for bad angle I’ll try getting better one next time. I know I need to fix lower back because it’s rounding and chest up cue doesn’t work for me. Also last thing, my grip strength is terrible even back the when I was doing 300lbs I couldn’t hold up 225lbs deadlift without alternate grip and or hook grip. Is there anyway I can have my grip catch up with my deadlift or am I going to have to rely on straps for not being able to have sufficient grip strength.

SQ: These look pretty solid. Depth is good. I would just bring your heels in a touch so you have a bit more toe turnout and then push your knees out a bit harder from the start. 10lb jumps don't last very long, so do run yourself into the ground with them - move the 5lbs.

DL: Your shins are a bit too vertical in your initial setup. Drop your hips a bit and get your knees flush with the front of your arms. Then make squeezing your back separate from trying to pull. Squeeze first as if trying to break the bar off the ground (push your belly to the floor is a cue that might help if chest up doesn't). Next pause on the ground after each rep and breathe and squeeze your back again - no touch and go. In terms of grip strength, first make sure you are using chalk and then you can use a hook or mixed grip. Your grip will still get stronger if you use a mixed grip and as it does, you can start using a double overhand at heavier weights.

For the deadlift could it be because I'm too close to the bar on the initial setup which makes my shins to vertical?

And thank you very much for the input I appreciate it!

You are apparently too close, look carefully your first and last rep

Yes, too close initially.

Squat:
    Still checking up on depth, narrowed my stance a little and focused on pushing knees out.

3x5 215lb Squat - YouTube

Deadlift:
    Having trouble with this one cuz of bad habits I’ve developed like breathing in and out at the top. I brought hips down and focused on pushing belly to the floor which helped a lot with lower back. Sadly can’t use chalk at Ymca so I got membership at another gym which does allow it.

1x5 245lb Deadlift - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    SQ: Stance looks reasonable now, but you can play around with a slightly narrower heel as well to see what you prefer (keep toes turned out). Still need to work on getting those knees out harder in the bottom. Also, your lean over is a little late on some reps. You can see how in the last rep you lean more in the 2nd half of the descent. You need that in the first third.

DL: Take everything out of your pockets when you lift. The push belly cue needs to be applied slowly so that your hips and knees don't change their position. Once you get setup nothing should move except your back flattening. If other things move, the setup will be off as it is in the first rep. Setup first, then squeeze. Separate steps.