starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, hope whoever reads this is having a good day.
    Deadlift 1x5 (180 pounds): VID 20210316 110919 - YouTube
    I'm 22 years old, about 6'2 and noticed the knees caving in quite a bit on the way up, despite actively thinking about pushing them out. Before I posted I searched the forum for similar problems and found a post that mentioned a similar problem, in which they mentioned it might be due to weak groin muscles or setup issues, but it was inconclusive. They also posted a link to a Bill Starr article which said to adress this issue but the link is dead.
    Thank you for your time, any feedback is appreciated.

Your hands should be about a half inch wider.

I'm not seeing knee cave here. Where are you seeing it?

The knees start out and then move medial (inward) as a function of the toes being pointed out and knee extension. If that's what you're talking about, then there's no problem here except that you might consider gaining 20 to 40 pounds.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I see, thank you very much for the explanation.
    I thought I was seeing it here, but I might just be reading too much into it. dl.jpg
    Will do. I have been trying to add weight since I started, with 185 and currently I am about 191 pounds.
    Once again, thank you.

A locked out knee cannot really have knee cave without a lateral force acting on it. If you're standing up all the way, you would have to actively try to knee cave, and even then it wouldn't really produce what most people call "knee cave". The other way would be for someone to bash you in the knee with a baseball bat mid deadlift, but this picture doesn't show that.

My pleasure. Feel free to ask more questions as they come up.

Good job on the weight gain. Keep it up. 220lb is where you should be aiming at the moment.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com