starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and Deadlift Form Follow Up Please

Default Squat and Deadlift Form Follow Up Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Feedback on my squats was gotta get lower to even post form checks, and the bar is too high...

So now I squat all the way down, like if I took a nap I wouldn稚 sag any lower, just tip over. I知 posting that for a follow up.
    Going low is mostly mental, so hopefully I have fixed that finally.
    The bar too high is more physical and I continue to work that flexibility. In the beginning I had to work to keep the bar down off my neck. This last time I felt it touching the top of that scapula bone - real progress. Looking forward to a proper low bar squat in a few more weeks.

New squat video
    Squat Form Follow Up - YouTube

Prior feedback
    Squat form check please

Deadlift feedback was I知 pulling with my back first such that I知 dragging the bar over my bent knees.
    I知 trying to fix this but am struggling with the timing... legs first then back? Legs and back together? Race between legs and back with knees locked before the bar pulls past? I'm posting my effort at better for a follow up.
    Are there any cues for "slow learners" like myself?

New deadlift video
    Deadlift Form Follow Up - YouTube
    Please pardon the burps. And sorry for the length of the video, deadlift felt pretty heavy, had a moment of doubt on the first rep. Kept at it for all 5. I did take a breather between pulls, watching the video is a bit humorous. I知 at risk of turning 1x5 into 5x1.

Prior feedback
    Deadlift form check please

Thanks in advance for your time,

Rich

Your depth definitely looks better, but there's almost no lean over. Likely related to bar position. You may be able to get it lower if you get your thumbs on top of the bar instead of around them. Give that a try.

For the deadlift, there's a few cues for your issue you can think about...
    - Push the floor away with your feet.
    - Pull your knees back to start
    - Leg press the ground away.
    - Stay over the bar longer than you think you need to
    - Straighten your knees to start
    - Don't let the bar come off your legs.
    All of them require you to disassociate the movement from your arms/back doing anything. The arms act as tow ropes and the back is just a lever arm. The knees and hips do the work.