starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check

Default Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Power Clean 160 lbs - YouTube

My jump sucks. I am violently extending my hips and knees, but I feel like I'm not getting into the air at all. What am I doing wrong? I am also having trouble setting my back since I started adding weight, in the video I am shoving my back/gut as far in between my legs as I can while making my chest proud. The pain grimace on my face is just from a large cyst in my wrist that I'm getting removed next week.

There is nothing wrong with your jump. The only thing wrong with these cleans is that you're not catching the bar at your things before you set it down. Read the blue book again: The jump is part of the teaching method, not the clean itself. How far up in the air do you plan on getting with 160? The jump in the teaching method is there so you can learn to rack the bar after the pull. Once this is learned, the acceleration from the floor becomes the focus, and the jump is never talked about again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is nothing wrong with your jump. The only thing wrong with these cleans is that you're not catching the bar at your things before you set it down. Read the blue book again: The jump is part of the teaching method, not the clean itself. How far up in the air do you plan on getting with 160? The jump in the teaching method is there so you can learn to rack the bar after the pull. Once this is learned, the acceleration from the floor becomes the focus, and the jump is never talked about again.
    Damn! I hate catching the bar with my thighs. Oh well, time to suffer it. Ok, I will stop obessing so much about the jump itself and continue to focus on just racking the bar through acceleration. Thank you Rip.