starting strength gym

Thread: Calf Pain During Squat

Default Calf Pain During Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat 325 lbs - YouTube

I have been experiencing noticeable pain throughout my posterior chain after doing squats, the most intense of which occurred in my calves. Is there something wrong with my form that may have caused this? My calves seized up and I could not squat back up on my 2nd set of 5 reps at 330 lbs (5 lbs higher than this recorded squat).

From my last form check, I have been resisting dropping into a free fall when I squat down, as well as not actively pausing at the bottom.

I'm not an expert on calf pain so not sure what's going on there. I would agree with previous assessment of needing more control on the way down and not pausing at the bottom. Also I'm assuming you know these are high bar squats

I used to have that problem, still do from time to time. I think I was just getting onto my toes by not controlling it well (dropping too fast). SSC told me to slow down and think about keeping the weight on my mid-foot and that does seem to fix it, when I remember to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    I'm not an expert on calf pain so not sure what's going on there. I would agree with previous assessment of needing more control on the way down and not pausing at the bottom. Also I'm assuming you know these are high bar squats
    Doing my best with the descent speed, I will try to slow down even further. It FEELS like an eternity underneath the bar, but that's probably my mind screwing with me. The bar position is weird though, I never had a problem doing low-bar early on, I don't know how I never noticed the bar traveling up to a high bar position over time. I'll adjust that too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beckham View Post
    I used to have that problem, still do from time to time. I think I was just getting onto my toes by not controlling it well (dropping too fast). SSC told me to slow down and think about keeping the weight on my mid-foot and that does seem to fix it, when I remember to do it.
    I don't recall feeling like I'm on my toes coming down, but I will pay attention to that when I do squats today.

Thanks guys!