starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping client set back

Default Helping client set back

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

I've been coaching a few people in the Method lately, and I'm running into an issue that I cannot seem to cue to fix. My client is having a hard time setting her back during her deadlift, and I'm having a hard time correcting it. I was hoping to seek the counsel of you who know more than me, so that I can have another tool in my toolbox.

Here's the deadlift:

She is able to set her back, but not hold it in position as she breaks the bar off the floor. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    (Sorry for her not being centered in frame. I'll fix that if i ever need to film her again)

First off, she's not in the correct start position. Look at the position of the shoulders and arm angle. Can't tell if the rest of is okay from this angle - eg bar over midfoot, knees pushed out. Fix this first.

The Deadlift - Demo and Teaching Method Videos

An incorrect start position isn't helping her hold her back in position, it's likely making her bad physical habits worse.

Can she tell that she is fucking up? Is she doing this with warmups? Squeezing slowly off the floor - extra slowly - on the warmups can help her learn what is right/wrong.

Stef, I'll try to get a better camera angle next time, and focus on her start position. I can verify that the bar was an inch away from her shins when she was standing up straight before the start of it all. Could it be just weird anthropometry? She's also getting lifting shoes that will come in on Friday, hopefully before our next session.

Along with what stef said about the start position, she's not actually "setting the back" and getting all of the slack out of the system. It looks like she's resting on the bar while she's able to flatten her back. If here wrists are bent before she starts pulling, she hasn't taken all of the slack out of the system, and that's why her back doesn't hold. Women can do this. They can flatten their back without putting any tension in the bar, and that's likely what's happening.

I'll look out for this. That is a really good point. I'll look for this on Friday. Thank you!

Look closely at her forearm the moment bar breaking the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    Could it be just weird anthropometry?
    Nope. You have to use all the steps in the method. She's not in the right start position. Look at the position of the shoulders and her arm angle.

Here's a video of her after performing a single.
    Shared album - Isaac Medina - Google Photos

Afterwards, we had a major breakthrough. She realized she was falling forward on step three instead of bending her knees. I didn't get any footage as I didn't want to interrupt our breakthrough, but it looked a lot better than what this video shows. More footage to come after our session Monday

Here's a link to our session yesterday.

Shared album - Isaac Medina - Google Photos

I filmed some of her warmups and her workset of 115lbs

starting strength coach development program
    First get her eyes/gaze in the right place.

This is similar to my fiance and what others have said...flat back but not tight with slack in the system (primarily the wrists/grip).

What helped us was practicing the set up very slowly and initiating very slowly as Stef mentioned. At super light weights, she needs to feel the tension build to the point where the bar begins to feel like its starting to come up before she's actually lifting it. It still looks like she's not entirely set before lifting because her back and hips change as she initiates.

Is this client familiar with twerking? It may actually help her set her back and drop the belly toward floor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast