starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Check

Default Bench Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My first bench check. I believe I have not been tucking my arms correctly and could be a possible reason I have hurt my right shoulder. I’m trying to lower the weight and build back up. Some pain but not too bad. Below is my perfectly angled video with enough light and cropped to minimize video length. Also the photo approximates the place of pain. I have no pain while pressing if that matters, only in the bench press. I appreciate the feedback...

#1 put some shoes

Bench 175# - YouTube
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 03-26-2021 at 10:10 PM.

You are going very fast with everything. The speed at which you take the bar out is so fast that your shoulders are coming off the bench. To begin the takeout, get super tight with shoulder blades back and down. Then slowly lock out the bar against the uprights. Then slowly bring it over your face to over your shoulders. Then do your first rep. On the ascent of each rep make sure you are pushing the bar back to over your shoulders and lock it out slower so that, again, your shoulders do not come up off the bench. Every time your shoulders come up you lose tightness and this could be contributing to your irritation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    You are going very fast with everything. The speed at which you take the bar out is so fast that your shoulders are coming off the bench. To begin the takeout, get super tight with shoulder blades back and down. Then slowly lock out the bar against the uprights. Then slowly bring it over your face to over your shoulders. Then do your first rep. On the ascent of each rep make sure you are pushing the bar back to over your shoulders and lock it out slower so that, again, your shoulders do not come up off the bench. Every time your shoulders come up you lose tightness and this could be contributing to your irritation.
    Thank you Hayden, That has been an issue with me in the squat as well, moving too fast. I will work on that.
    Last edited by Matthew Spicka; 03-27-2021 at 12:23 PM.

Second round of a better bench. I had some better reps of no pain at all, so now I know its possible to bench and still be dealing with some pain. It requires another level of body tightness that I have not used before. I ended up with 5 sets adding another 10lb and the 5th set was 7 reps. Not the NLP but I need to get more volume at this low weight to feel like I got a workout.

175# Bench Set 3 - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Spicka View Post
    but I need to get more volume at this low weight to feel like I got a workout.
    Are you training, or just jerking off?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are you training, or just jerking off?
    Ive tried and have pushed through the shoulder pain, and I can do it but I've been concerned of causing more damage vs fixing it. I do feel like this last round was better and l will increase 5# the next session.

I'm not asking anyone to critique the volume or intensity, I can do that myself, this is a technique thread.