starting strength gym

Thread: DL switch grip more dangerous for older trainees?

Default DL switch grip more dangerous for older trainees?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

I've heard that the DL switch grip can be slightly more dangerous than the double-overhand (or hook) grips, due to asymmetric loading of the shoulder + more involvement of the biceps (which may increase the chance of bicep tears). Clearly, however, the "overall" risk of the DL switch grip is not significant, as thousands of lifters have been using it all their lives with no problems.

That being said, do things change when applying this to older trainees? Is it significantly riskier for older trainees to use the DL switch grip, than it is for younger trainees? Should older trainees default to using straps (or hook grip) when the weight gets too heavy (instead of using the switch grip)?

I ask this because I got my mom into SS-style barbell training, and she is in her 50s...I've been encouraging her to use double-overhand grip on the DL for as long as she can. When the weight gets too heavy for her to grip, though, I'm not sure whether to recommend switch grip, or double-overhand/hook, with straps if necessary. In particular, if the switch grip is riskier for older trainees, I don't want to recommend it.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-skypig

Tearing a biceps takes weight plus other factors - tension, inflammation, inattention. Put that together with you own stated "slightly more dangerous" and you can see that it is of extremely minimal concern for females who are barbell training.

I have never heard of a female avulsing a bicep tendon. You?

Thanks stef and Mark for clarifying - sounds like there's pretty much nothing wrong with older/female lifters using the DL switch grip (provided other aspects of technique/form/etc. are correct). And if Mark has actually never heard of female bicep tears occurring, throughout all of his training experience, that definitely says something .

i would highly recommend learning and getting used of the hook grip.

my grip is poor and my limit with a double overhand grip on the deadlift is 145kg x 3 reps with the bar slipping from my hands on the last rep. i gave up on the double overhand grip after a couple of weeks of not really getting any improvements and switched to a mixed grip. used mixed grip until i got to 155kg. i dont want to risk tearing a bicep or cause muscle imbalance in my upper back so said fuck it im going to learn to hook grip. i continued to mix grip my heavy working sets until i got used of the hook grip and now im able to do my current working sets of 175kg for 5 reps with a hook grip no problem. it really didnt take long to get used of it. maybe 2 to 3 weeks. it feels weird at first and i think alot of it is gaining confidence that it actually works because you think how the fuck can i hold onto the bar like this. i started off light and worked up through my warm ups sets until i felt confident that i could use it for my working sets. Now i still use a double overhand grip on my warm up sets up to 145kg x 3 set while using hook grip on my heavier warm up sets and working sets.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC85 View Post
    i would highly recommend learning and getting used of the hook grip.
    This is the beauty of doing the program: you're already using it for your cleans.

It is interesting to see so many people afraid of, and who haven't learned how to use, an alternate grip correctly. It's very effective. It's simple to implement. It overcomes problems of fat hands paired with stubby fingers. Moderate your fear.

starting strength coach development program
    And your mom will probably appreciate mixed grip more since it's more comfortable to do. Beginners generally don't want to do things that hurt when you can accomplish the same thing doing something that doesn't hurt. Hell, I've been lifting for many years and I still have no interest in learning the hook grip. Never torn a bicep either *knock wood*