• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    6'2", 223 lbs

Latest squat session, 300lbs
    Set 1 300 set 1 - YouTube
    Set 2 300 set 2 - YouTube
    Set 3 300 set 3 (got all 5) - YouTube
    (Video stopped on 3rd set but I got that last rep up)

Posting an update to my last thread Squat Form Check 2 Months Later

Quick overview... Had bad brachialis pain that radiated into shoulder/neck during thumbless grip on squats. I focused on shoulder mobility (using the lowbar stretch on youtube and shoulder dislocations), continued with thumb less grip and pain was still present. Did chinnups protocol, for 5 sessions and made it worse.

In the midst of this, I failed my 3rd set of 290 with 4 reps instead of 5. Next workout I re-did 290 and failed in my second set. Next workout I re-did this again and failed on the 2nd rep of my first set (yikes).

I found a post Squat LP and the light day about backing off differently than SS book states, which results in hitting a new PR end of 2nd week. I did the following progression below.

245 - 265 - 275 - 285 - 255 - 295(PR)

After 295, I did 235 next workout, then this workout 300.

My squats have been feeling okay with the thumb wrapped around. Brachialis pain is only about a 3/10 and I am able to press and bench afterwards now (wasn't able to previously).

I notice my mid back tends to want to round when squats get hard. I remind myself I need to embrace the struggle and continue with the standard upward motion, vs trying to "just get it up". After watching the video, they feel way slower than how it looks.

Wondering what progression schedule I should continue forward with. I am not sure I am able to keep up with more than 5lbs a week at this point.

Of course, tips, pointers, cues are all welcome. I think I have improved my knee movement since last update which was a note made from a coach here on the forums.

Low back is not staying in extension.

Is there enough error in form here to warrant backing off again? Thank you.

There is enough error to warrant correcting the error. Why do you people always think the answer is lighter weight?

I guess the thinking is that we won't be able to complete the next workout without form breakdown unless we back off.

A better question would be should I repeat this workout weight or continue with progression?

Goddamn. The better question would be, "How am I going to get my low back in extension, and keep it there?"

Upper back is pretty floppy, too, thus the problems with your arms.

Sorry for being annoying. Just wanting some help in how to proceed.

The best question... How do I fix my back and keep it there?

And yes, I do believe rounding of my upper back is contributing to the arm issues, as well as tight shoulders (I am a software developer so hunched over all day). Believe the shoulder stretches before working out has helped ease the discomfort.

Purchased Practical Programming for strength which will be in the mail today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    There is enough error to warrant correcting the error. Why do you people always think the answer is lighter weight?
    Other than depth, are there any form problems where you would have somebody take weight off the bar to address them?

Asking because the question came up elsewhere recently and this thread reminded me of it.

starting strength coach development program
    Of course there are. But the first consideration has to be the way we're going to correct the movement problem, not how easy we're going to make it by unloading the bar. We've spent a lot of time providing instruction for this aspect of the problem, and he's just asking me how much weight he can unload.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast