starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat | 265 x 5 x 1

Default Squat | 265 x 5 x 1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Been doing my NLP for about a month now.

Would love some feedback on:

1. Am I staying in the hips / using hip drive enough?

2. Can anything be changed about my stance?

3. Am I lifting my chest on the ascent causing the bar to slow down?

Any other pertinent critiques for continued improvement.

Thank you for your time and help.

Squat | 265 x 5 x 1 - YouTube

-Jamie

I think you need another inch or 2 for depth,
    looks like your feet should be wider, by a couple(2-3) inches,
    and this should let you get deeper,
    foot angle looks ok, just everything wider,
    keep your knees out over your toes(which you look to be doing now)
    are you peeking at the mirror?
    stare at the wall under the mirror, or where the floor meets the wall,
    no peeking at the mirror,

Not a coach but
    1) No. Looks like you need to drive your hips further back and consequently bend over more.

2) might be a touch narrow

Nothing else stood out to me.

Depth is fine. You need a half inch wider stance, and you need to bend over more and drive your hips more.

Yes, the lack of hip drive from lifting your chest is causing a slow finish.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I’m curious to see how the wider stance will feel but I can definitely see how it will help me bend over more and stay in the hips.

I doubt I’ve truly felt the hip drive yet. Hoping it will lead to much more power out of the bottom.

I’ll send a second video this week.

Here is:

270 x 5 x 1

Squat | 270 x 5 x 1 - YouTube

I widened my stance as suggested in the previous comments but I still feel as though my back angle is too vertical, I’m not sitting “back” enough and that I’m missing adequate hip drive.

Other than thinking of lifting the bar as though it were on my hips rather than my shoulders, are there any other cues to help FEEL what correct hip drive is like?

Not going to lie this set felt awful, inefficient, and heavier than I thought it would.

I want to continue to learn the correct feeling for optimal hip drive without de-loading the bar so I can ingrain those mechanics when the weight is at it’s prescribed heaviness for a given workout

Any suggestions or strategies to help learn the proper feeling before I continue to increase weight with less than optimal mechanics?

Thanks!

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jconnell23 View Post
    Here is:

270 x 5 x 1

Squat | 270 x 5 x 1 - YouTube

I widened my stance as suggested in the previous comments but I still feel as though my back angle is too vertical, I’m not sitting “back” enough and that I’m missing adequate hip drive.

Other than thinking of lifting the bar as though it were on my hips rather than my shoulders, are there any other cues to help FEEL what correct hip drive is like?

Not going to lie this set felt awful, inefficient, and heavier than I thought it would.

I want to continue to learn the correct feeling for optimal hip drive without de-loading the bar so I can ingrain those mechanics when the weight is at it’s prescribed heaviness for a given workout

Any suggestions or strategies to help learn the proper feeling before I continue to increase weight with less than optimal mechanics?

Thanks!

Jamie
    I’m far from an expert here but I’ve been experimenting with squat form until the gyms reopen in the UK—I’ve found the “key” for me is making sure the hips and knees break at the same time. Doesn’t seem to matter what I do afterwards, if this togetherness isn’t there then it feels completely wrong. Things get more complicated with a heavy bar on the back, especially with shoulder issues like I have and I used to have a tendency to try and initiate the requisite forward lean with my head.

The bar is in the high bar position. I didn't see it in the first video, but it's obvious here.

Fix that, and everything should make more sense in how it feels.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Here’s 275 x 5 x 1

Definitely feel the difference with the bar in the right position. I questioned my depth on #5.

Squat | 275 x 5 x 1 - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    They all looked a little high to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast