starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - Lower Back

Default Squat Form Check - Lower Back

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

27 years old, 5'11'', 170lbs.

Last time i showed my squat , it was mentioned, that I have a loss of lumbar extension in the bottom of the squat. Is it better this time?
    Just for clarification, I'm able to control my lower back willingly, but it seems that I have problems to hold it tight under load.

In addition, I narrowed my stance and tried to go to full depth every rep.

45 rear view:
    Squat0403TUBOW - YouTube

Side view:
    Squat0403TUBOW2 - YouTube

Thanks in advance!!

You are lifting your chest on the way up. Keep the chest down. Drive the hips the whole way up

Kudos ! on the TUBOW 👍 although I do prefer the $399.99 SS version.

Cor,

I mentioned that your extension was being lost in the previous upload. I am not a coach, but I will say these are VASTLY IMPROVED. Good job and listen to Ryan’s advice. How do your hips/glutes feel now?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    Cor,

I mentioned that your extension was being lost in the previous upload. I am not a coach, but I will say these are VASTLY IMPROVED. Good job and listen to Ryan’s advice. How do your hips/glutes feel now?
    Yeah, one problem solved, and woops there's another Better actually, hope it stays this way !

Quote Originally Posted by Panda View Post
    Kudos ! on the TUBOW �� although I do prefer the $399.99 SS version.
    Mine is the German Version. Only € 299.99

Oh and one question concerning nutrition:

You saw me on the video: I'm weighing 173 lbs, started with 163, but I'm one of these "skinny fat" guys. I'm gaining weight easily, I was even a little fat once. I just wondered if the GOMAD advice is right for me. I followed it (ok on some days it was 3 Litre whole milk). Rip mentioned in the blue book that guys with more than 20% bodyfat should not drink that amount of milk, but i dont know if I'm above that level.

Tanks and Have a nice weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    Oh and one question concerning nutrition:

You saw me on the video: I'm weighing 173 lbs, started with 163, but I'm one of these "skinny fat" guys. I'm gaining weight easily, I was even a little fat once. I just wondered if the GOMAD advice is right for me. I followed it (ok on some days it was 3 Litre whole milk). Rip mentioned in the blue book that guys with more than 20% bodyfat should not drink that amount of milk, but i dont know if I'm above that level.

Tanks and Have a nice weekend!
    I think Rip was talking about overweight/obese people who also happen to be above 20% bodyfat. You are not overweight/obese and the milk is there because it has a high calorie content, with plenty of protein and other goodies to help you grow. Drink the milk (I like to make protein shakes with mine). Also, I suggest monster mash. I discovered it after having lost a lot of weight due to COVID-19.

I use:

2.5 cups of medium grain rice (I personally prefer Japanese sticky rice)
    2.5 pounds of cooked hamburger/bison
    4-5 Yukon potatoes (that's my personal taste preference, I'm sure any potato will be fine)
    Multiple handfuls of spinach or kale
    A carton of tomatoes
    1 cup of chicken stock

Optional:

I think people usually use red bell peppers, but I can't eat bell peppers. I just asked Rob Santana about this in a thread and he recommended a substitute of mushrooms and/or Brussels Sprouts. I don't like mixing Brussels Sprouts into stews/soups because they dominate the flavor profile, but mushrooms are great with this.

I cook the rice and meats separately. For the potatoes, I dice them and then put them in a fry pan with butter, salt and pepper. I fry for 5 minutes, then roast them in the oven for 5 minutes. I alternate fry and roast cycles maybe 2-3 times. On the third fry, I add all the spinach/kale and tomatoes. Then I do one more roast cycle.

Then I mix the rice, meat, potato/spinach/tomato mixture, and chicken stock all together in one big "mash." Then I separate into individual bowls and refrigerate.

It's quick, easily digestible calories that you can have as a snack in-between meals. Drink with milk or have that at a different time.

So how did you fix your lumbar spine from going into flexion at the bottom of the squat? I have the same problem, except more pronounced, and I can't for the life of me stop myself from doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MeatyMan View Post
    So how did you fix your lumbar spine from going into flexion at the bottom of the squat? I have the same problem, except more pronounced, and I can't for the life of me stop myself from doing it.
    Full Lumbar Flexion at bottom of the squat?

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Frank, that's some really good advice and recipe! I will definitely try that !

Quote Originally Posted by MeatyMan View Post
    I just focused harder on squeezing my lumbar muscles, the muscles around my lumbar spine,the entire time. To keep it rigid. Seems to work.
    I could controll them since i can remember, but before I just "forgot" to squeeze them hard.