starting strength gym

Thread: Form Check: Squat/Press/Deadlift

Default Form Check: Squat/Press/Deadlift

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Condensing these here in one thread, instead of flooding in three separate ones. Looking for some feedback on the lifts here. I know I took the press out of the rack the wrong way, but that was the best way to get the right filming angle for it. I don't normally do it facing away from the rack like that. I'm particularly concerned about my grip width for my press and squat, I want to make sure they are both good. Clear photos of each are included.

SQUAT:
    Photo of squat grip from behind.

Still struggling hard to get the wrist flexion under control. It's definitely not as bad as it used to be, and it doesn't cause elbow issues right now, but I can still see it happening a little.

PRESS:
    Photo of press grip

DEADLIFT:

Anything? The golfer's elbow is starting to creep in a bit on my left side. Could the flexion be caused because my forearms are a bit longer than the humeri? Should I widen my grip a bit to shorten the forearm segment artificially?

You're letting the wrists flex forward, especially on the left and that's likely what's contributing to the elbow pain. The bar actually look a little low here. Check out Nick's video on bar placement in Youtube and make sure it's right under the spine of the scaps. You're going to have to be deliberate about keeping the wrist straight. Ideally straight is best. A little extension isn't terrible. Flexion is no good and should be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    You're letting the wrists flex forward, especially on the left and that's likely what's contributing to the elbow pain. The bar actually look a little low here. Check out Nick's video on bar placement in Youtube and make sure it's right under the spine of the scaps. You're going to have to be deliberate about keeping the wrist straight. Ideally straight is best. A little extension isn't terrible. Flexion is no good and should be avoided.
    Yeah, figuring out a setup that gets rid of it is what I'm striving for. I don't know if it's too low, I'm pretty sure I've seen the video you're talking about (this one, right?) and used that method to find the spot for the bar. I actually used to have it too high before I watched that video. I feel like the flexion starts at the bottom, because I start to feel like the bar is going to roll up my neck and I need to pull it down into my shoulders to keep it from doing that. I'm wondering about the grip width because I feel like I have to go to extremes in terms of pulling the scapulas together (and back) to get a narrow grip to work at the top, and from what I'm seeing here at the bottom the muscles in charge of pulling the scapulas back like that just give out under the weight of the bar. This is probably what gets it started feeling like it's gonna roll up the neck, as well as causing my hands to be an inch or two higher up the bar than they were, which makes the flexion happen. I don't know if it's also too low, I'll try and look at that today, I have to dip a little to get under the bar the way I have it now, but I worry one notch higher on the rack will instead be too high.

Your wrist is fine during setup, but it flex immediately when you unlock your hip
    I don't know what's causing this, just sharing what I see

starting strength coach development program
    Alright, so I attacked the problem in my workout today on two fronts, both the grip width and the bar position. I set the hooks one slot higher than usual, and was able to setup nicely in a more secure spot further up. I played with both variables in my warmups, and found that the higher position and a one finger wider grip seemed to work best. When I went with the same grip as before with the higher position I still had some flexion creeping in, but with both, the bar felt much more secure in place AND there was no flexion occurring.