starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I think something is off about my setup. I have read "A Note About Pulls From the Floor", but my untrained eye can't see what my problem is EXCEPT, I know my gut is so fat, that I have widened my stance to get it between my thighs. Even if I keep it narrow enough to keep my knees inside my elbows in the setup, I've noticed I have trouble keeping it there in later reps.

I haven't drastically widened my grip to compensate because I'm stubborn, and I don't know what it would take and what the effect would be.

ALL input on all aspects appreciated.

This is my 325 work set.

Wonky Deadlift - 325 (4 Rep Miscount) - YouTube

*And yes, I realize this is only 4 reps. I lost count, and have chastised myself thoroughly in my bathroom mirror. Will repeat 325 on Monday.

Appreciate it.

You are correct. You need to set up with the bar 1in from your shins. You are setting up with the bar right on your shins and these are stiff leg deadlifts

Is the bar floating an inch (or more) away from the shin when it breaks off the floor?

I watched it several more times. I did finally see that my bar was wiggling in the air like a belly dancer.

So y'all think that's because it's too close to my shins?

Yes the bar did not stay on the shins either. So set up 1in away. Touch the shins to the bar(this creates and angle so your shins will not be vertical). drag bar up shins

Thanks a ton - if there's any particular advice for setup, grip width, etc. for a big gut, input is appreciated. It's going down steady, but it's going to be awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    I watched it several more times. I did finally see that my bar was wiggling in the air like a belly dancer.

So y'all think that's because it's too close to my shins?
    That's what I would say. Notice how the bar immediately rolls forward before it lifts off the floor. As has been said in multiple places, heavy deadlifts will always leave the floor over mid foot, whether you start with it there or not. Many of the "big shots" do that squatted down deadlift start that puts it forward of mid foot, and it ALWAYS rolls back to the mid foot before it leaves the floor. You are basically dealing with the opposite problem, it always rolls forward before it lifts off. Watch and you'll see it.

Thanks a ton - if there's any particular advice for setup, grip width, etc. for a big gut, input is appreciated. It's going down steady, but it's going to be awhile.
    First thing to keep in mind is that getting the squeeze at the bottom is not comfortable for anyone - gut or not. That position is supposed to be hard to get into. That being said, one you get the key setup points corrected, feel free to experiment on your warmup sets with different grip widths, stance widths, toe turn out, knee push out etc until you find something reasonable

Here is my successful 325 attempt from Friday. Deadlift - 325 - Work Set - out of breath - YouTube
    (Can you call it successful when you have to stand up twice to get oxygen?)

Whatever the case, I think I see my shin angle and bar path are better. I tried to revert to textbook 5-Steps here, and while I certainly set my thoracic spine, I'm not sure if it transferred all the way down to a properly extended set lumber.

Can y'all see from the video whether you feel like my back is properly set? Had a little low back soreness/stress over the weekend, but no acute pain - and I know what that feels like.

The lift itself felt "harder" but I'm wondering if that is just having my posterior chain properly engaged for the first time in awhile. Also, as you can see, I was sucking wind, so I'm sure that's part of why.

As it stands, I do intend to experiment with a wider stance today, barring any other advice from here.

Y'all are incredibly helpful. Thanks!

**You'll see when my kids barge in, and I react with a hand gesture akin to a middle school girl - I will also try never to do that again, and I apologize to you all.

This video helped me a lot - particularly the tip about having the knees about-half-way covering my arms. This seems like way more than 1 inch from my shins, but my bar-path was definitely better.
    A Perfect Pulling Position on Every Rep | Shaun Pang

starting strength coach development program
    Here is my successful 325 attempt from Friday. Deadlift - 325 - Work Set - out of breath - YouTube
    (Can you call it successful when you have to stand up twice to get oxygen?)

Whatever the case, I think I see my shin angle and bar path are better. I tried to revert to textbook 5-Steps here, and while I certainly set my thoracic spine, I'm not sure if it transferred all the way down to a properly extended set lumber.

Can y'all see from the video whether you feel like my back is properly set? Had a little low back soreness/stress over the weekend, but no acute pain - and I know what that feels like.

The lift itself felt "harder" but I'm wondering if that is just having my posterior chain properly engaged for the first time in awhile. Also, as you can see, I was sucking wind, so I'm sure that's part of why.

As it stands, I do intend to experiment with a wider stance today, barring any other advice from here.

Y'all are incredibly helpful. Thanks!

**You'll see when my kids barge in, and I react with a hand gesture akin to a middle school girl - I will also try never to do that again, and I apologize to you all.

This video helped me a lot - particularly the tip about having the knees about-half-way covering my arms. This seems like way more than 1 inch from my shins, but my bar-path was definitely better.
    A Perfect Pulling Position on Every Rep | Shaun Pang
    Definitely better. Focus even more on squeezing your chest up at the bottom and think about pushing your belly between your knees as you squeeze. that may have been a set of 6. it took so long I lost count though

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast