starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm so glad I got to the 2-minute mark..... Lol

Nice work, Chandler.
    One thing to share, you bring your shin to the bar by rocking your body, and rock back when setting your back.
    Try bend your knee to touch the bar.

That doesn't seem like a real big breath before each rep. Really fill your lungs with air, which will help with bracing and get a bit more oxygen in there to begin with. Have you tried not taking a coffee break between each rep? Big breath, set yourself, pull, lower, right away big breath, set, pull, lower, and so on. Have you experimented with different belt tightness? Maybe it's too tight and interfering with breathing? Just a thought.

I would also try to minimize the shrugging of the shoulders and the little jump you do at the top of the rep. Keep your chest up the whole time and just stand up at the end.

You using chalk? Your hands look pretty clean. Even with the alternate grip, I would imagine it would help (I only use double overhand and hook, so no experience with mixed). Your body will make the bar feel a lot heavier if it senses you don't have a real good grip on the bar.

Good luck and keep at it!

There's a shrugging/hitching thing going on at the top of each rep in both videos. You've got the weight up, no problem--all you want to do is stand up at the top, arms hanging down, no extra motion.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    There's a shrugging/hitching thing going on at the top of each rep in both videos. You've got the weight up, no problem--all you want to do is stand up at the top, arms hanging down, no extra motion.
    Could that be due to back extension not being maintained from the start?

Quote Originally Posted by Guan Cheng Lin View Post
    Nice work, Chandler.
    One thing to share, you bring your shin to the bar by rocking your body, and rock back when setting your back.
    Try bend your knee to touch the bar.
    Thanks, I could feel that. I think it might be more pronounced in this next set I post, which is from yesterday before I read this feedback. But I'll pay attention to it next time.

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    Have you tried not taking a coffee break between each rep?
    Ok, let's everybody get their chuckles out about the fat guy hyperventilating between reps ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    That doesn't seem like a real big breath before each rep. Really fill your lungs with air, which will help with bracing and get a bit more oxygen in there to begin with. Have you tried not taking a coffee break between each rep? Big breath, set yourself, pull, lower, right away big breath, set, pull, lower, and so on. Have you experimented with different belt tightness? Maybe it's too tight and interfering with breathing? Just a thought.

I would also try to minimize the shrugging of the shoulders and the little jump you do at the top of the rep. Keep your chest up the whole time and just stand up at the end.

You using chalk? Your hands look pretty clean. Even with the alternate grip, I would imagine it would help (I only use double overhand and hook, so no experience with mixed). Your body will make the bar feel a lot heavier if it senses you don't have a real good grip on the bar.

Good luck and keep at it!
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Seriously though, those breaks between sets were abnormal for me, and it's definitely because I'm not getting enough breath since I started fixing my form from the first video in this thread. I don't think it's the belt, but I'll double check that. The issue for me has always been getting my gut between my thighs, and when I'm in there too tight, I can't get much breath. In this set done yesterday (Deadlift - 330 - trying wider stance - YouTube), I tried taking a big breath at the top before getting set up for the first and last reps. I widened my stance and grip but could barely get down and get my back set. My low back felt strained the first two reps.

**I'd particularly appreciate feedback on whether my back looks properly set all the way down to the lumbar.**

Widened stance helped some; you'll see I only have to stand up once. I felt that I was shrugging/hitching too, I'll pay attention to chest up. Definitely using chalk. I've started using hook, but just recently so I'm only using it on warmup sets.

**Before I fixed my setup, I was making it work by widening my stance some, and exaggerating my foot angle to 45 degrees or a little more even. That's all I can think of to try next. Input welcome!

There seems to be quite a bit of inconsistency from rep to rep. The 5th rep was the best here and I think it may be because you had your eyes fixed in a better spot. On the previous reps you were looking down as you grabbed the bar and then looking forward as you got your squeeze so the extra movement may be throwing things off. Get your eyes set right after you touch your shins to the bar then get your squeeze and pull. You could also try loosening the belt one notch

The hitching accompany with heel off the ground, maybe you can think stay midfoot when you're about to lock out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    Ok, let's everybody get their chuckles out about the fat guy hyperventilating between reps ;-)

[snip]

Definitely using chalk. I've started using hook, but just recently so I'm only using it on warmup sets.
    What my poor attempt at humor ('coffee breaks') was meant to say was that your whole set could have been over in 30 seconds or less, if you just took one big breath between pulls, set yourself and went, instead of the excruciating two minutes we all watched. Of course you're going to be out of breath after two minutes of that. What I do is straighten my knees to get some room around my belly and then take the big breath, then set the shins back against the bar, set my back, then go. Repeat between each rep.

Stick with double overhand for the warm up sets, then move to hook for the work set. Yeah, it hurts at first, but you'll adapt.

starting strength coach development program
    The humor was spot on, and no offense taken.

I'll try doing as many as I can on one breath, and thanks for the breath advice.

My problem is it feels excruciating, breath-wise, before I've even got the first rep off the floor - but maybe that's just my lack of experience.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast