starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    . . . meant to say was that your whole set could have been over in 30 seconds or less, if you just took one big breath between pulls, set yourself and went, instead of the excruciating two minutes we all watched. Of course you're going to be out of breath after two minutes of that.
    I also was doing a lot of breathing between the last couple of deadlift reps. One of the coaches on the forums has written a lot about not doing that--the theory being that, unless you stand up (which breaks off the set), more breathing doesn't really help and just prolongs the set and the discomfort.

Be careful to re-set properly for each rep (hands stay on the bar), but then no extra breathing, just do the rep. I finally started working on that technique, and I think my results have been better (Starting Strength turns out to be right again!).
    Last edited by J. Killmond; 04-23-2021 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typos

The more time you sit in the bottom thinking how much it sucks, the more it's going to suck. Just setup and get on with it.

**Some of y'all (Coach Arnold, in particular) have been incredibly responsive and helpful, so feel free not to waste your time on this recording as I know it's not much better than the last one - see below for my explanation, and why I'm posting it anyway.**

Hey guys - this recording is pathetic and embarrassing - and it got cut off before the end (I did, at least, do all 5 reps). Deadlift - 335 - embarrassing - truncated recording - YouTube
    I know I forgot to check my eye gaze on a couple reps, and the standing up and wheezing is even worse. This hitch is also still there - I think I figured out it comes of perceiving my sweats are getting bunched up and impeding the bar. Probably just need to force myself not to do it. I'm also still rocking back as I initiate the pull. I don't know if that's bad or not.

I was also working out with a bad head cold and interrupted sleep today, but I don't know how much to think that would affect me. Didn't SEEM to mess me up on squats and presses.

**So the only reason I'm posting it is because the breath issue is so damn bad! You can see I'm almost freaking hyperventilating after a couple reps. If anyone out there can speak to it, it's appreciated.

I widened my stance and my foot angle significantly, and loosened my belt TWO notches. I can get more breath this way, but it still doesn't feel like I can really fill up. After holding my breath for the setup and doing the rep, I feel like I'm drowning. I suppose I haven't tried to push a second rep until I was dizzy or anything, so if this is just me being a wimp, let me know.

**In fact, looking back over the previous advice in this thread, barring any further input, I'll just assume I am being a wimp, and next workout, really try to focus on taking one big breath between reps (HT: RJPinAZ).
    But since I've already typed this, all out, I'll go ahead and post.

**ADMIN - IF YOU SEE THIS IN TIME, PLEASE DO NOT APPROVE MY PREVIOUS POST ON THIS THREAD, OR THIS ONE**

The moment I post my pathetic video and writeup, I see the responses from J Killmond and Coach Troupos, so if this does get posted PLEASE JUST IGNORE MY IMMEDIATLEY PREVIOUS POST

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    The humor was spot on, and no offense taken.

I'll try doing as many as I can on one breath, and thanks for the breath advice.

My problem is it feels excruciating, breath-wise, before I've even got the first rep off the floor - but maybe that's just my lack of experience.
    You do any conditioning work? Prowler, rower, farmer’s walks?

Quote Originally Posted by RJPinAZ View Post
    You do any conditioning work? Prowler, rower, farmer’s walks?
    I don't at the moment, though I obviously need to in the future. I am doing straight NLP, and it is working as described for "fat guys" in the book - inches are coming off my waist, and I'm trimming up everywhere, but slowly. Little more on that below if anyone interested.

I've been told that I'm approaching intermediate on my first lift to max out of NLP - my press. I'll be getting my hands on Practical Programming in short order, and get whatever wisdom is in there, but I am assuming that as I start to move to intermediate for most of my lifts, it might be a good time for a more serious "cut," and some conditioning? Anyway, like I said, I'll read PP.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Put some more details on my eating and fat loss in a Nutrition board thread: A Deeper Battle Than Macros

Alright - here's something I'm not totally ashamed of: Deadlift - 340 - YouTube

Still got my problems with the hitch, though, on almost every rep. It's some freakishly instinctive thing. I will continue to focus on not doing it, and I'll get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    There seems to be quite a bit of inconsistency from rep to rep. The 5th rep was the best here and I think it may be because you had your eyes fixed in a better spot. On the previous reps you were looking down as you grabbed the bar and then looking forward as you got your squeeze so the extra movement may be throwing things off. Get your eyes set right after you touch your shins to the bar then get your squeeze and pull. You could also try loosening the belt one notch
    Also, my eye gaze is not consistent. Some reps I remember it, some I don't.

Appreciate any and all feedback!

Put something on the floor about 10' in front of you that you will remember to look at, and keep looking at it until you reach the lockout.

You're doing a good job keeping your hips high but you could be setting your upper back better (mostly on the later reps). Think about showing your shirt logo to the wall in front of you (rotating your chest up and in between your arms).

Stop moving the bar once you bring your shins to the bar. You are wasting valuable seconds trying to get the bar back onto your shins and over your mid foot. Sweep the bar back into your shins to keep the bar in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    Alright - here's something I'm not totally ashamed of: Deadlift - 340 - YouTube
    you are yanking the bar off the floor. You need to set the back to that you pull all the slack out of the bar before the actual pull.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Geerts View Post
    Put something on the floor about 10' in front of you that you will remember to look at, and keep looking at it until you reach the lockout.

You're doing a good job keeping your hips high but you could be setting your upper back better (mostly on the later reps). Think about showing your shirt logo to the wall in front of you (rotating your chest up and in between your arms).

Stop moving the bar once you bring your shins to the bar. You are wasting valuable seconds trying to get the bar back onto your shins and over your mid foot. Sweep the bar back into your shins to keep the bar in place.
    Would particularly appreciate input on whether my back-set seems to degenerate in later reps.

I think my eye gaze is more consistent, and "the hitch" I think is almost gone. To me that's different from the movement of chest-up at the top.

All input appreciated.

Deadlift - 345 - YouTube

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast