starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    Would particularly appreciate input on whether my back-set seems to degenerate in later reps.

I think my eye gaze is more consistent, and "the hitch" I think is almost gone. To me that's different from the movement of chest-up at the top.

All input appreciated.

Deadlift - 345 - YouTube
    Just get your squeeze, push through the mid foot and stand up - like you did on the first two reps. In the last 3 you rock back on your heels after the squeeze

Major improvement in my keeping my reps going without taking a break. Also trying to focus on staying on my mid-foot so I'm not rocking back.

Nobody has directly responded re: whether my lower back is well-set. I consistently feel a small amount of stress that doesn't feel like good stress in my low back, mostly during the first rep or two, and resulting soreness afterword. It isn't very bad and it isn't getting worse, even as the weight goes up. So I continue to focus on a good set, and if nobody sees a problem, I assume I should keep on keeping on.

As for this set, any and all input welcome. Especially if you see anything degrade over the first 4 repeated reps.

Deadlift - 355 - YouTube

To all the coaches and users who have input before, thanks a ton - this feels so much better than when I first posted here!!

There is no separate setting motion occurring in your low back.

Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    Major improvement in my keeping my reps going without taking a break.
    Come on--you did those first four reps on one breath!

Steps 1-3, first Stance, then Grip, then Bend Knees. Step 4 is Set Your Back. One big breath, then Step 5, Pull.

I like to take the breath before setting my back. But before or after, set your back as a separate and distinct event. Set your back and then, before pulling, feel everything tight and rigid, then pull (push the floor down with your legs).

Getting back to your 355x4. Instead, take one breath before each rep. It was really amazing to see you do four reps on one breath, but highly not recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Getting back to your 355x4. Instead, take one breath before each rep. It was really amazing to see you do four reps on one breath, but highly not recommended!
    Ok, good, see, you learn something new every day!

He hasn't read the book.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He hasn't read the book.
    Truly, I have!

But I haven't looked back at the DL chapter lately - been relying on the board here, so sorry for wasting anyone's time.

Also, I have no doubt I am athletically stupid, and have been doing this awhile without direct coaching.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234