starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First time asking for a squat form check. Appreciate the help.

Last workout I failed this weight on the second set - made two attempts. Succeeded this time. This is my third work set.

I think I can feel myself getting out over my toes a couple reps each set. Doing my best with an untrained eye, I think I see my bar going forward and back. Beyond that, I can't see the issue. I'd appreciate input on my depth - I THINK I'm below parallel, but it's not enough some reps for me to tell.

ALL input welcome on all aspects.

Final Work set at 300: Squat Final Work Set - 300 - first time (failed previous workout) - YouTube

**Sorry about the black pants, but I think with the shirt and the lighting, you can see me ok. Please tell me if not.

You're below parallel. But getting there by collapsing under the bar is a huge problem. You have to slow down the descent or you're going to get hurt.

Thank you, Rip!

Will slow it down.

Watched some of the training videos, and seems to be something like a 2 count down to the bottom on good reps. I suppose that's subjective, but I can focus on it.

No need to respond unless that's wrong.

Thanks.

Failed first workset today at 305 (previous video up top was my 300 set, successful 3x5).

Slowed down my descent and focused on "point nipples to the floor", and my warmups felt notably better, but failed my first set, third rep.

I feel like I'm seeing bar-path wiggle, but can't see why (untrained eyes here). And other than the fact that my butt went up and the bar didn't, I can't tell why I failed.

I do see after the fact that I didn't even really try the rep after I was stuck. I'll push it next time.

Appreciate all input, including, does my descent look better controlled on the first to reps at least?

Squat 305 FAIL - First work set - YouTube

You've slowed down a little bit, but you're still getting loose to slam into the bottom. Then you have to re-tighten everything to get out.
    You're going to have to go deliberately slower and maintain a steady pace all the way to the bottom so you can actually feel the hamstrings get tighter.
    Lean over, reach the hips back, and focus on getting to just below parallel while staying balanced on midfoot. I'd take a small reset so you can clean this up.
    Are you able to get to a coach near you?

That makes sense. I am having trouble conceptualizing going down controlled and slow, and then getting a bounce off the bottom. Those two things don't go together in my head.

I may be a bit proprioceptively stupid, or at least inexperienced.

I am going to get to SS Houston for a few sessions in the next few weeks (ASAP, just in between jobs at the moment). Meanwhile, based on what you've said, I will look back in SS:BBT3 for what a small reset would be.

Don't know if being very out of gas today is relevant; if so, feel free to ignore the info-dump below -

Thank y'all a ton.

Just after sending the above, I failed my second set of presses, as though I had nothing to give. I tried three times, making sure my hip bounce was solid.

Had a lot of simple carbs (bagel with jelly, and big glass of OJ) for breakfast about two and a half hours ago, with eggs, ham, and greek yogurt for protein. Also cup of Iron Joe. Had a 12 oz non-diet gatorade about 30 minutes ago. It's warm, not hot, but humid as hell. But I've been chugging water also.

I have usually worked out in the afternoon, not the morning, but meal composition and timing would be about the same, and it's mid-morning, not like it's 5 a.m.

It's very rare for me to feel really out of gas like this. It is not typical for me. 3.5 months into NLP. As you may have inferred above, I have little to no training/athletic experience in my life before SS.

Trying to figure out what matters and what doesn't by experience.

3.5 months of your press being on an NLP? It may just be time to change programs. Where'd you start and where did you fail?
    Post your last good work set of presses up if you want us to take a look.

Well that's one obvious answer! Hadn't even considered it.

I started at 65 in January. I dropped from 5 lb. jumps to 3 lb. jumps two or three weeks ago. Revisited and am focusing on correcting my hip bounce as of about a week ago.

This is my last work set last Friday at 132.5 (I can't remember how the .5 got in there)

Press - 132.5 - Final Work Set - YouTube

It "felt" pretty decent, but I've been assuming at the least that I'd have to drop to 2 or 1.5 lb. jumps soon enough. I was just figuring on running NLP out as long as I was capable.

Input welcome!

IF IT HELPS ANYONE ELSE:
    Discussion of descent speed, bounce, and tightness in SS:BBT3 is on p.50 in print, in the Squat chapter, "Common Problems..." section, a good ways into the "Hips" section.

Couldn't find anything about resets or deloads in the blue book, but found The Reset | Rori Alter, which is helpful information.

From this, and considering you suggested a "small" reset, I would think to try my next workout deloaded 5%, or 15 lbs, back down to 290, and see if it's enough to let me focus on my descent speed, bounce, tightness, etc.

No response needed unless I'm wrong.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    Well that's one obvious answer! Hadn't even considered it.

I started at 65 in January. I dropped from 5 lb. jumps to 3 lb. jumps two or three weeks ago. Revisited and am focusing on correcting my hip bounce as of about a week ago.

This is my last work set last Friday at 132.5 (I can't remember how the .5 got in there)

Press - 132.5 - Final Work Set - YouTube

It "felt" pretty decent, but I've been assuming at the least that I'd have to drop to 2 or 1.5 lb. jumps soon enough. I was just figuring on running NLP out as long as I was capable.

Input welcome!

IF IT HELPS ANYONE ELSE:
    Discussion of descent speed, bounce, and tightness in SS:BBT3 is on p.50 in print, in the Squat chapter, "Common Problems..." section, a good ways into the "Hips" section.
    Move your grip in a finger width and keep your knees locked when you throw the hips. There's couple reps where your lower body is helping and that needs to die.
    Once you clean that up, keep adding 2.5lbs jumps until you can't and then change to a more intermediate program.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast