starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandler Williamson View Post
    Couldn't find anything about resets or deloads in the blue book, but found The Reset | Rori Alter, which is helpful information.

From this, and considering you suggested a "small" reset, I would think to try my next workout deloaded 5%, or 15 lbs, back down to 290, and see if it's enough to let me focus on my descent speed, bounce, tightness, etc.

No response needed unless I'm wrong.

Given the challenge you've had, 10% may be more helpful to dial it in and then take bigger jumps coming back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    You've slowed down a little bit, but you're still getting loose to slam into the bottom. Then you have to re-tighten everything to get out.
    You're going to have to go deliberately slower and maintain a steady pace all the way to the bottom so you can actually feel the hamstrings get tighter.
    Lean over, reach the hips back, and focus on getting to just below parallel while staying balanced on midfoot. I'd take a small reset so you can clean this up.
    Are you able to get to a coach near you?
    Took it down to 275. Shocking how heavy it feels when I'm focused on my descent. Really tried to keep everything tight on the way down. Can't thank you enough for the input, Coach Troupos.

Anybody with input on my form here, appreciated!

Squat - 275 - deload to work slow descent - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    Move your grip in a finger width and keep your knees locked when you throw the hips. There's couple reps where your lower body is helping and that needs to die.
    Once you clean that up, keep adding 2.5lbs jumps until you can't and then change to a more intermediate program.
    Posted most recent press set in this new thread: Cleaning up my Press

Failed first workset today at 305 (previous video up top was my 300 set, successful 3x5).

Slowed down my descent and focused on "point nipples to the floor", and my warmups felt notably better, but failed my first set, third rep.

I feel like I'm seeing bar-path wiggle, but can't see why (untrained eyes here). And other than the fact that my butt went up and the bar didn't, I can't tell why I failed.

I do see after the fact that I didn't even really try the rep after I was stuck. I'll push it next time.

Appreciate all input, including, does my descent look better controlled on the first to reps at least?

Squat 305 FAIL - First work set - YouTube
    Stay tight during the descent and slow the fuck down. You'll still get a bounce if you're tight. Here's me doing a single at 385: Slow squat with bounce

I'll admit the depth is borderline and knee slide has been a chronic problem with me (plus this is the heaviest I've done since last October), but that's what we mean by a controlled descent. Note the quick turnaround at the bottom despite the slow descent.

Coaches, please let me know if I'm setting a bad example for Chandler here.

Certainly had more control than I have, but I have been slower in subsequent sets, and I have definitely gotten my head around the slow-bounce (i.e. correct). Took some practice to feel it.

Certainly had more control than I have, but I have been slower in subsequent sets, and I have definitely gotten my head around the slow-bounce (i.e. correct). Took some practice to feel it.
    Yes, it does take work. I look at some of my videos from 5-6 years ago and my goodness, what a train wreck (not that I'm perfect now, just improved).

Keep it up, you're going down the right path.

Change play speed to 0.5 and watch several times to embed correct descent tempo in your mind

Here we go at 285. Squat - 285 - Working descent speed - YouTube

My descent speed is slowed even more. Appreciate all feedback, but specifically:

- Appreciate knowing if any coach thinks it needs to be slower.
    - Also, if you spot me getting slack at the bottom. Even after I started slowing down, it was pointed out that I was still going slack at the bottom. I'm still getting used to what a correct bounce feels like.
    - Sometimes I feel like I get out over my toes, and the ascent is all quads. Specifically I think the 3rd and 4th reps felt like that.

You are flexing your knees before your hip flexes. Hip and knee flexion should happen at the same time. (especially reps 4 and 5). This is causing you to get onto your toes, being "slack" at the bottom and having too vertical back angle at the bottom.

Think hips and knees at the same time and send your ass back as far as it can.

starting strength coach development program
    Here we go at 285. Squat - 285 - Working descent speed - YouTube

My descent speed is slowed even more. Appreciate all feedback, but specifically:

- Appreciate knowing if any coach thinks it needs to be slower.
    - Also, if you spot me getting slack at the bottom. Even after I started slowing down, it was pointed out that I was still going slack at the bottom. I'm still getting used to what a correct bounce feels like.
    - Sometimes I feel like I get out over my toes, and the ascent is all quads. Specifically I think the 3rd and 4th reps felt like that.
    I'll be honest with you Chandler, I don't see the slightest difference in your descent speed here. I know it's hard and it feels weird, but you have to learn to tighten and tense up your quads, hamstrings and glutes and then keep them tight to control your descent speed. This dive-bombing you're doing will lead to injury at some point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast