starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check, 4/12

Default Squat Form Check, 4/12

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quick bio: Currently 6'0", 201 as of today. I gained 20+ pounds since Jan. 1 when I started this @135lb squat. Its been going great. All of my 'old' clothes are in storage now. Maybe I'll keep them for my kids, I don't know.

Relevant: Recorded myself doing 275 for sets across and found that my depth was exactly parallel. That's three months of bad habits I'm trying to undo. Tried to bury it and it felt unnatural when I recorded these, so I'm doing a form check:

Set 2

Final set, with a grindy final rep that may be worth a watch for form deterioration

Thank you in advance for all your time and expertise. The weightlifting belt arrives tomorrow, by the way.

First time I've ever seen someone monetize a form check video.
    When you're done reading this, please go here and purchase a belt ---> Shop | Dominion Strength Training

Your back is not tight and you could do with narrowing the grip to get a more solid interface between the back and bar. Before you unrack, walk the hands closer to the shoulders and lift the chest up so your upper back is tight and the bar is locked in. Then, before each rep, lift your chest up to set the back.
    Get leaned over sooner and maintain control into the bottom so you're not getting loose and plopping in the hole.
    Tough to tell with dark sweat pants, but most reps look ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    First time I've ever seen someone monetize a form check video
    I honestly don’t know how I monetized my video, and it was not intentional.

I will place my hands closer together and buy the belt. Thank you for your time Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Troupos View Post
    First time I've ever seen someone monetize a form check video.
    When you're done reading this, please go here and purchase a belt ---> Shop | Dominion Strength Training

Your back is not tight and you could do with narrowing the grip to get a more solid interface between the back and bar. Before you unrack, walk the hands closer to the shoulders and lift the chest up so your upper back is tight and the bar is locked in. Then, before each rep, lift your chest up to set the back.
    Get leaned over sooner and maintain control into the bottom so you're not getting loose and plopping in the hole.
    Tough to tell with dark sweat pants, but most reps look ok.
    Today I tried to narrow my hands on the bar a lot, and get tighter. This was with 285. The result was an intense numbness in the meat of my shoulders after I re-racked the bar, as if they were dead. My arms literally moved slower, as if less responsive to my brain.

The strange thing is that I was still able to complete my press sets without a particular decrease in strength. Even stranger was that, by the time I deadlifted, I had no shoulder numbness. My layman's guess is that I have poor shoulder flexibility and my shoulders became hyperextended during squat stabilization. I'll keep an eye on it, and I hope that proper bar tightness during the squat just increases my shoulder flexibility.