starting strength gym

Thread: Squat and bench technique

Default Squat and bench technique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,
    I've been strength training for several years, and always had knee issues and shoulder issues respectively from squatting and benching.
    I've been unable to squat for 2 years due to quadriceps tendonitis, and currently having pain in the right front delt and trap/neck, my right collarbone also pops when i move my shoulder.
    Here are some videos of me squatting/benching. Some of them are from 2 years ago. Hope that's usefuls so you can see anything than can be causing injuries
    Squat:
    200kg squat - YouTube
    200kg squat - YouTube
    Bench press:
    Bench 157.5 kg - YouTube
    Bench press - YouTube

Swiss bar close grip floor press:
    close grip swiss bar floor press - YouTube

Have you read Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company? Your SQ video and 2nd BP video have significant form deviations from how we teach the lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Have you read Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training, 3rd edition (Current Revision, Paperback) – The Aasgaard Company? Your SQ video and 2nd BP video have significant form deviations from how we teach the lifts.
    I read the 2nd edition many years ago, the most important thing I remember about the squat is that the book insisted a lot on the importance of hip drive, which is achieved by sitting back and looking down.
    As to the bench press, I guess that the bar typically touches higher on the chest right ? I used to bench this way but later found that touching lower and letting the bar sink allowed me to push more weight, but maybe that's too stressful on the delts.