starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Apologise profusely for the angle/lighting and everything else but just getting my home gym together after something like a 7 month gym closure in the UK.
    A measly 50kg trying to rebuild the form that once saw me do sets of 5 with nearly 3 times that.
    Everything feels off to be honest, elbows feel jacked up, not feeling the ‘bounce’ and bit concerned about the pelvic tilt when standing with the bar on my back.
    Like I said once I actually sort the space out I’ll try and get some better angles and upload more vids. Have just reread the squat section of the blue book and thought it’d look better than this to be honest.

15 April 2021 - YouTube

Only so much we can see in this video, but you need to get your knees forward sooner and slowing down your descent into the bottom will help. You are dive-bombing right now. If you elbows are jacked you can try widening your grip a bit or angling your wrists a bit and cycling in some low bar position stretches. Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube

Thanks, what are some queues for the knees forward (apart from the obvious). I can’t seem to coordinate the movement of hips going back at the same time as knees going forward...

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden-William Courtland View Post
    Only so much we can see in this video, but you need to get your knees forward sooner and slowing down your descent into the bottom will help. You are dive-bombing right now. If you elbows are jacked you can try widening your grip a bit or angling your wrists a bit and cycling in some low bar position stretches. Low Bar Position Stretch | On the Platform - YouTube
    Are these any better? Gradually sorting the space out so I can get some better angles.
    135 and it felt heavy, certainly couldn’t feel the right muscles working. Been off for a while with a shoulder issue and to be honest feel a bit scared of the movement-also feel like my upper back/torso is messing things up somewhere.
    I think it might be time to ditch the weight altogether and relearn the movement...

17 April 2021 - YouTube

Aside from the first rep which had a delayed hip bend, these are better. What I like to have people do when they can't get timing down, is to do some empty bar sets very slowly so they can focus on everything moving at the right time. You can do that as part of your warm-up routine going forward to dial the timing in. I would also slow your actual weighted sets down a bit as well. You are starting and descending into the squat very fast here.

Thanks for the feedback-I did some reps afterwards with just the bar and a tennis ball under my chin and a wider stance trying to stretch things out on the way down rather than just drop down and try to muscle the weight up afterwards.
    I should add I’m not eating much at the moment as need to shift about 30lb body weight (not exactly DTP). Also tried the lower back activation which was a bit of a lightbulb moment.
    Will try again tomorrow and just focus on rebuilding form.

starting strength coach development program
    Are these any better? Called it a day after 3 reps at 185 due to a niggling pain in the left hip flexor-is this a sign something is off?

26 April 2021 - YouTube