starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5'9" 175lbs, SS warmup app warmup for 5 sets, working up to working set of 185.
    Been doing SS for about a month and a half now.
    Still working my way through the book.

3 sets from yesterday:
    Set 1: https://youtu.be/mQvOlTrwjxg
    Set 2: https://youtu.be/fDKMasZKC-M
    Set 3: https://youtu.be/F0t65t_QDtU

This is the first time I've been able to video myself and actually see my squat from the side. There's a few things I immediately notice need work:
    • Bar seems too high
    • Back seems to vertical
    • I appear to be dive bombing
    • Feet do not appear to be steady

If I had to guess, the bar being too high is probably leading to the vertical back. I usually have it lower, but I've been trying to get the wrist angle thing mentioned in the book correct. I think if I move it down on my back, it should fix my back angle (I'll video my set tomorrow with this change to compare).

I'm having some real trouble with the straight wrists setup as mentioned in the book. Its a new concept for me, but probably need to perfect it quickly because I failed on my overhead press in the last set yesterday due to what feels like the beginning of tendonitis (very dull but definitely there feeling similar to the funny bone sensation when the bar was being pressed up). The most comfortable I can get with the bar in lower back and the thumbs over the bar is about like this picture: Starting Strength. My shoulders just don't seem to be able to squeeze that far back that I can have straight wrists. The set in the video I tried moving my hand position further out (thumbs were about at the outside ring in the knurling).This article (https://startingstrength.com/trainin...n-in-the-squat) seems to mention that I should be having my elbows down rather than pushing them back in a slope which I got the impression from after reading that part in the book. Any ques or tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

I think the dive bombing may also be closely related to the feet not being steady. Also, my shoes are "air" style nikes and very squishy. I have some powerlifing shoes coming in the mail today that should help me balance better.

I also have a que at the bottom of my squat for "hip drive" (another new concept for me) which makes me feel like I'm shifting towards my ass which has me rocking slightly backwards at the top (probably again, related to the high bar position which doesn't need as much hip drive).

Please let me know if you concur/disagree with any of the above or notice anything else I need to focus on tomorrow. Hopefully I have some better attempts tomorrow.

These are high bar squats man. Seems like you are reading the books which is good. If you can't learn the low bar squat from the blue book or SS videos I would seek out coaching if you want to improve.

I recorded my sets from yesterday and disregarded the wrist issue for the most part which allowed the bar to get lower:

Sorry for the slightly different angles, I was watching the video in between sets to check form.

• Definitely feeling it in my elbow this morning, so can someone please help me figure out how to both have the bar low, AND straighten out my wrists. What am I doing wrong. Do I need to work on my mobility? Hands wider? Arms further back or closer in?
    • The new shoes definitely helped me with my balance issues, and I feel like the speed of my drops is more controlled. Agree or nay?
    • Is this enough hip drive or do I need to improve on that as well?

Regarding your grip, you are starting from the outset in a position where you are going to carry the bar in your hands. If you approach and grip the bar with extended wrists, it tends to be difficult to get them flexed again.

Coach Lewis made a video recently on squat grip:

Fixing Your Wrist Position in the Squat | Andrew Lewis

Before I read through your post, I noted to myself from watching your video, "the dreaded elbow doom in coming." Besides the grip, your upper back is flexed, forcing you to extend your shoulders to hold the bar up.

See here:

Login • Instagram

Besides these setup adjustments, you're still not leaning over enough. That being said, that might be an artefact of the bar position and insecure grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Regarding your grip, you are starting from the outset in a position where you are going to carry the bar in your hands. If you approach and grip the bar with extended wrists, it tends to be difficult to get them flexed again.

Coach Lewis made a video recently on squat grip:

Fixing Your Wrist Position in the Squat | Andrew Lewis

Before I read through your post, I noted to myself from watching your video, "the dreaded elbow doom in coming." Besides the grip, your upper back is flexed, forcing you to extend your shoulders to hold the bar up.

See here:

Login • Instagram

Besides these setup adjustments, you're still not leaning over enough. That being said, that might be an artefact of the bar position and insecure grip.
    Thanks for addressing the wrist aspect. I applied what was in the video to today's squats and definitely found it easier to get to closer to straight when setting up, but in order to get the bar to a low bar position (which even still feels/looks too high from the video) I did need to flex my wrists back some. The one thing I forgot was that I don't need to have my full fingers on the bar which is an ingrained habit I have. I think if I allow the bar to ride along the heel of my hand I should be able to straighten out.

What is your opinion on bar height? Low enough? Whenever I tried going lower it immediately felt like it was slipping down, but it still looks pretty high. Maybe its the low camera angle? I don't really have many options for filming from height at that rear quarter angle. Here's the last set from today at 205:

SS Form Check - Squat 205 - 3rd set - YouTube

My primary focus today was:
    • Wrist positions
    • "tits to the ground"
    • "head back/chest up"

starting strength coach development program
    These look a lot better. When I first commented "high bar squats" I was mostly commenting on the torso and hip mechanics rather than the actual bar placement, those first videos your torso was almost completely vertical and you didn't have much hip drive. To me it still looks like the bar is positioned too high, I would strongly recommend widening your grip until you can get the bar just below the spine of your scapula and your wrists can be as close to neutral as is possible for your flexibility, if you are truly that tight in your shoulders I think you would still have a good shelf and tightness for the low bar regardless of a wider grip. I think that will help your lack of thoracic tightness that was mentioned above. I also think squatting in front of a mirror is screwing up your gaze a little bit on those last videos, you start looking forward at the start of the descent and then drop your gaze as you go down, pick your spot on the floor to look at as you brace and hold it there for the whole rep. Good work though, keep it up!

One other thing...You could benefit from a TUBOW, drive your knees forward more, you appear to be setting your knees and sitting back without any forward knee drive, you can see it too as your toes wiggle up off the floor as you stand because all your weight is back in your heels. Focus on the master cue and keeping the bar directly over your mid foot.