starting strength gym

Thread: Cleaning up my Press

Default Cleaning up my Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Cleaning up my press form after some advice on another thread. I've been told I'm getting close to intermediate on this lift.

This is final work set at 136. Press - 136 - YouTube

I see my heels coming off the ground with almost every hip-bounce. Am I cheating, or is that just part of what happens?

Thanks as always.

You have a bit of heel raise in these. Try a slightly wider stance and squeeze your abs and quads really tight before each rep. The main thing I am seeing here is bar path. During the hip reach the bar actually moves forward (away from you) a bit which makes it harder to complete each rep. Try nudging your elbows a tiny bit more up/in front of the bar in the setup and hold them there during the hip reach to keep the bar close.

I feel like I solved the issue of the bar going forward. Still see some heel raise even though I'm really trying to focus on correct hip bounce form. Input welcome - you'll see I actually missed the 5th rep here. Gave it one more try, but it was messy.

Press - 138 - with fail - YouTube

Bar path is better but there is still a lot of systemic looseness. You're doing a lot of wiggling between reps. You can see the bar go up and down and you readjust it between reps - try and bring it down right into the setup position after each rep and don't more it any more. When you do your hip reach you have noticeable knee unlocking and your elbows drop down. When my clients have these issues I often tell them to throw their hips forward "without leaning back." Obviously there will be some leaning back, but this mental note can help keep more tightness. The elbows up you will have to focus on separately, but it's in a similar vein - keeping the tightness of the setup position as you execute the rep.