starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Form Check

Default Power Clean Form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi! I'm looking for an overall form check on power cleans. I seem to have a mental block on the transition from the floor to the hang position: I can't go from "slow then go" to a smooth accelerated movement from the floor. I recently thought I had an arm pull, so I switched to a hook grip to help keep my elbows straight. Unfortunately, now I'm having trouble racking the bar properly (can't make myself let go of the hook grip).

Here is video of my third of five sets at 102.5 lbs. I'm already exhausted (surprisingly, I felt I did better on my last set).

20210418 215032 - YouTube

I'm 5' 8", 202 lbs, 48 yrs old. Been on the NLP since November 2020. Just deadlifted 365 lbs. and squatted 332.5 lbs, both for three sets of five.

Thanks in advance!

Just like a deadlift, the first pull off the floor should be as vertical as possible. This means that your initial movement up uses a knee extension. You're pulling the bar in a circle around your knees. Read that part again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just like a deadlift, the first pull off the floor should be as vertical as possible. This means that your initial movement up uses a knee extension. You're pulling the bar in a circle around your knees. Read that part again.
    You're the master! I didn't even realize I was moving the bar around my knees. That makes perfect sense! I am afraid of hitting my knobby knees with the bar. Gotta trust the process.

Thank you!