starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there. Been off and on for years to the point where it’s not your general “YNDTP,” I have straight up just not been doing the program. Hopping back on it finally and am concerned about my squat form. April on 2020 I torn my meniscus to some extend, somehow, during squats at 205. Took a break and then hopped back on. I got up to 230 in Late June and then stopped working out again after I had a brain injury in July 7th, 2020. Between then and now there has been little to no weightlifting, just some upper body calisthenics here and there.
    Today I started back.

I’m 24, male, 6’0” and 237 lbs.
    Squat: 205 3x5
    Deadlift: 250 1x5 (no more plates)
    OHP: 90 3x5
    Bench: 155 3x5

My main concern with my form, from my amateur perspective, is lumbar extension at the bottom and hip drive. I have watched many of Rip’s videos, read articles, and forum post’s(though I’m sure I’ve missed something) so I’m familiar with the language and the concept of how the squat should be done. My problem is “feeling” whether I am doing it correctly in the movement. I have read that I should actively squeeze my lumbar at the top but just shove my hips back while squeezing my abs. But I have also heard rip say, particularly in the lumbar back position video and the Warrior Poet squat video, that you need to squeeze your lumbar erectors during the movement and at the top respectively. Regardless of when I do this, there seems to be an anterior pelvic tilt in the hole of squat. Not Rip has made an article about this and this is relatively okay and natural. Why this bothers me is whether or not I am experiencing just that, or my lumbar is rounding. This does not help the cue of lifting the bar from the shelf of the lumbar at the bottom of the squat to drive the hips up. It “feels” like there is nothing to “lift the bar” up with the hips because of the that rounding.
    All that said, I am sure there are multiple things I could be doing wrong that cause this or are happening regardless of this. A form check would be greatly appreciated.

3x5 205 lbs working sets

You can see my shake my head in the 2 and 3 set because I looked up and/or move the bar forward and came up on my toes. Tried to cue my butt back, head/eyes back down whit chest up and knees out. With the emphasis on my lumbar at the bottom I am sure I was not thinking about everything else made mistakes. I did not focus on squeezing my lumbar at the top for these sets but just shoved my butt back and squeezed my abs.

1. 1 set 205lbs - YouTube

2. 2nd set 205 lbs - YouTube

3. 3rd set 205 lbs - YouTube

If I am missing anything in this post that is needed, let me know. Thank you!

This length is more akin to a consultation, so I leave that for others, but I'm going to watch the first video you posted so you can at least get a form check.

Feet are too wide - get them an inch narrower. The grip needs to be more narrow to get your upper back tight and protect your elbows from bearing the load. You need to break at the hips and knees at the same time. Right now, you're just shoving your butt back.

Get some lifting shoes.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com